PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] help, best for compiz fusion??

no1cares
May 16th, 2008, 08:52 PM
im putting linux on my laptop and was wandering what is the best, version to get. i want it to run compiz fusin and have the same affects as the one on the link at end, to my knowledge it seems compiz fusion is a add on to ubuntu, but i figure starting with the best version of ubuntu would probably help....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-2ZUAZoGOQ

thanks,

Delever
May 16th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Just get latest Ubuntu, these efects are built in and available as soon as you enable hardware acceleration, and old news ;)

Melk79
May 16th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron) will run Compiz Fusion well, as long as you have a capable video card. Once installed, you can enable desktop effects and have the fancy effects like the YouTube video. You may need to run:
sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

In order to have the Advanced Desktop Effects Settings choice under System>Preferences. From this menu, you'll be able to turn on the 3D cube, wobbly windows, etc.

no1cares
May 16th, 2008, 09:18 PM
the video card is a "nVidia quadro NVS 120m" with this video card work??

shifty_powers
May 16th, 2008, 09:20 PM
thatas based opn either the 7400 or 7600, so yes, it should work perfectly ;)

you'll have to enable the driver after install, but we can cross that bridge later :D

HotShotDJ
May 16th, 2008, 09:27 PM
the video card is a "nVidia quadro NVS 120m" with this video card work??I get excellent Compiz performance with my cheap little integrated Intel 945GM (See attachment). As long as that card is supported in Linux (I'm pretty sure it is), you should be able to experience all the cool graphics.