PDA

View Full Version : Increase connection speed for OpenVPN

kalyptus
May 16th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Just installed Openvpn in Ubuntu... and aint got no problem connecting to it our client machines using both windows and ubuntu... However the icon in our Windows client displays that the connection speed of the tap connection is just 10 mbps... Is there a way to increase the connection speed? What should I do?

RumorsOfWar
May 17th, 2008, 05:37 AM
I don't know, but if you asked on general help, you'd probably find someone who knows. Or I'm sure a moderator could move this there if you'd like.
Good luck :)

p_quarles
May 17th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Moved to Networking and Wireless.

kalyptus
May 20th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Thanks for moving this thread to its proper place... But it seems my post doesn't have a clear reply up to this time... Anyone?

SpaceTeddy
May 20th, 2008, 09:26 AM
is this a windows or a linux problem ? which tap (why tap ?) device are you talking about ? the windows or the linux one ?

I am confused :confused:

kalyptus
May 20th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I am using ubuntu os as my server.. ubuntu and windows xp as my client... thanks

SpaceTeddy
May 20th, 2008, 10:40 PM
ok, i got some time for tests. Since i do not have a windows install at hand at the moment, i have to rely on ubuntu(hardy) as the client to debian(lenny) as the server. Checking the connection speed settings on the network interfaces, they also give me 10Mbit/sec. here is the full output of the server

ethtool tun0
Settings for tun0:
Supported ports: [ ]
Supported link modes:
Supports auto-negotiation: No
Advertised link modes: Not reported
Advertised auto-negotiation: No
Speed: 10Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: off
Current message level: 0xffffffa1 (-95)
Link detected: yes

and here is the full output of the client:

sudo ethtool tun0
Settings for tun0:
Supported ports: [ ]
Supported link modes:
Supports auto-negotiation: No
Advertised link modes: Not reported
Advertised auto-negotiation: No
Speed: 10Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: off
Current message level: 0xffffffa1 (-95)
Link detected: yes

With these settings a transfer of more than one Megabyte/sec should not really be possible - however, i can easily max out my dsl line (1,6 Mbyte) via this VPN. So i am assuming that the device speed is just displayed wrong. I would think they can go as fast as the underlaying real network device. This is only a theory. It still has to be tested.

kalyptus
May 21st, 2008, 09:23 AM
Thanks... Your explanation makes me realize one thing... We are using internet... Really... really thanks a lot...

freshmeat20
August 17th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Im also wondering how to increase speed. Same setup, ubuntu server with a windows client. What can I do to increase past 10mbs?

Wild Man
August 18th, 2012, 01:31 AM
If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.