PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Get wireless back to Live CD fitness

fitzbuntu
May 16th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Hi All,

My question is this: Is there any way that I can lift the wireless/network components from the Live CD and simply replace the files on my hard drive?

I've been with Ubuntu for about a year now. I love the freedom but here we go again with wireless problems.

I installed Herron 2 weeks ago, Live CD works fine out-of-box, so did the install, but tonight after rebooting my laptop (the only changes I made were to install screenlets and Avant Windows Navigator) my network card crashed and I couldn't get it back up.

I de-installed screenlets and the wired connection started working again, but wifi is gone.

I've done this many times already with WEP/WPA, network manager, wifi radar and the command line (usually after an upgrade), but I don't want to spend the next 12 hours constantly pounding the CLI and I don't want to do a re-install either because I just got the desktop set up how I want.

Please save me from the agro of a re-install!

PS. I was just about to paste my setup but then I realised I'm on my desktop and can't copy and paste. If you think it's necessary I can go back to my laptop and plug in the ethernet and paste it from there.

Thanks.

fitzbuntu
May 16th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Bump!

Some more information. What's odd is if that it seems to pick up an IP address from my router and recognise the network, but I am unable to ping or access my router. Although when I go to my router through my other pc it sees my laptop as connected.

Normally I'd assume this was a firewall problem but I have no firewall running.

I've tried hardcoding my wireless info and doing a dhclient, again it registers and IP address but unable to ping/connect.

It really seems to me it might be a simple problem, I'd rather not do a re-install, there must be some way that settings can be lifted and transplanted from the Live CD?