PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting started with wireless.

Tex786
May 15th, 2008, 09:15 PM
I have a wireless card and in the network tools under devices it has 2 things. What I believe to be my ethernet card and the other to be my wireless card witch i have slid in one of the slots on my laptop.

One has an I.P. Address and the other does not. I would expect my ether net card to have an I.P. address and my wireless cared not to as I do not use wireless in my home.

If I go to the librarry does this mean that my wireless card would work as i have 2 devices registering in my network tools window?

Thanks everyone!

chili555
May 15th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Generally, your ethernet device is labeled eth0. Wireless, depending on the chipset, may be labeled eth1, wlan0, wifi0 or something else entirely.

Network Manager, which is installed by default, controls the switch from wired to wireless and back again. You can read more here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/NetworkManager

It is likely your wireless will work at the library, but not certain; there are pages of posts here from people who can't, until they get a bit of help, get their wireless to work seamlessly. Those for whom it does work seamlessly, of course, don't post here.

To find out, you'll need to go to the library or some other wireless access point and click the Network Manager at the panel at the top right and select an available network. Click it and try to connect. If you do not, tell us what happened, your symptoms, etc., and we'll help.