PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] HELP! softare won't work (illegal instruction)

900donuts
May 15th, 2008, 05:22 PM
i recently use synaptic to switch from gnome to kde (and to save HDD space i decided to get rid of gnome)

any way a number of programs that i use have stopped working these are
blender3d
gridwars
teeworlds
and bzflag(i don't normally use this one but when tee worlds and grid wars failed to work i had to find some thing to play)

i tried launching all of these from my console and they all just said illegal instruction

HotShotDJ
May 15th, 2008, 05:26 PM
i recently use synaptic to switch from gnome to kde (and to save HDD space i decided to get rid of gnome)

any way a number of programs that i use have stopped working these are
blender3d
gridwars
teeworlds
and bzflag(i don't normally use this one but when tee worlds and grid wars failed to work i had to find some thing to play)

i tried launching all of these from my console and they all just said illegal instructionIn the process of removing gnome, you may have removed libraries that these applications need. I would start with removing each application using Synaptic Package Manager and then reinstalling them. That way, any dependencies that you may have inadvertently removed will also be brought back in.

900donuts
May 15th, 2008, 08:37 PM
ok i tried your suggestion and it didn't work now what?

HotShotDJ
May 15th, 2008, 08:50 PM
ok i tried your suggestion and it didn't work now what?Drats. I was so hoping it would be the easy solution. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the particular applications you are having trouble with. You may want to download the Kubuntu installation CD, backup your /home drive and do a reinstall. Clearly, something got pooched when you switched to KDE ... but I really can't tell what it might be.

900donuts
May 15th, 2008, 10:51 PM
gridwars is technically supposed to be off the net but the download link at happypenguin.org still works

teeworlds you can get from teeworlds.com

and blender and bzflag are in the repositories

thanks for trying