PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Networking question...

rickdog
May 15th, 2008, 02:10 PM
This has nothing to do with ubuntu, but a basic netowrking question.

I have a router (d-link di524) that has a desktop and a printer connected (wired) to it. I keep a cable hooked up so I can connect a laptop for faster file transfers. So that leaves me with one free port. Now, on the other side of the office, I have another desktop and a Tivo as well. They both connect to the network wirelessly, but I was considering getting 30ft of cat5 or 6 and setting them up wired, again for faster file transfer (Tivo files are large and take a while to transfer). But I'm short a port. I was wondering if I could use a switch or hub or something to where I'd run the desktop and Tivo in and another cable out to the last free port in my router?

Do I have the right idea? Or is there another way? Thanks.

jetsam
May 15th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I was wondering if I could use a switch or hub or something
I'd use a switch. They're generally more efficient than hubs and about the same price (not expensive).

Do I have the right idea?
Yes.

Or is there another way?
There's almost always another way. Adding a switch is simplest, and should work well for you.

tumandro
May 15th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Go with the switch, it's the easiest solution. It also gives you better scalability in case you're adding more equipment in the near future.

rickdog
May 15th, 2008, 09:24 PM
thank you very much!