PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Download speed on local network slow

stuifbergen
May 15th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 and I notice my download speed on the local network is really slow, about 80 KB/s.

I get this speed when I use OpenSSH server on my Ubuntu and an FTP client on a WinXP machine. To make this clear: From the WinXP machine I upload a file using SFTP, so I'm dowloading it with Ubuntu :)
The upload speed (seen from Ubuntu) is about 400 KB/s, which should be usual.

When I change the situation. Set up FTP server on WinXP and a FTP client on Ubuntu. The download speed (seen from Ubuntu) is still about 80 KB/s with FTP. The upload speed then is the usual 400 KB/s.

So this tells me it's not a application depending configuration, because different applications have the same results.

I think this problem is local, because when I download some from the internet I can reach 150 KB/s which is the max of my Internet connection.

I used to have installed WinXP on the machine and I didn't have any problems with the speed.
I use WPA2-PSK connection on both machines. But actually I don't think wireless is the problem because I can download faster over the Internet.

Is there some configuration what cuts off the bandwidth?
Is there another way to check the network speed next to FTP sessions? Because maybe FTP is the problem...

Thnx in advance!

stuifbergen
May 31st, 2008, 08:48 PM
Is there nobody who can help me?

MrSootentai
June 1st, 2008, 03:45 AM
I have the same problem right now.
My upload speed is usually 2mb/s and under Ubuntu it is 40kb/s