PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help!!! Wireless Does Not Accept Wep Key

dmac71
May 15th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Re: wpa key not accepted
I am a new user--not used a command prompt since DOS. do not understand any of the code, but would greatly appreciate some assistance with a very similar problem.

My wireless has not worked since I installed 64bit 8.04 (didn't work in 7.1 either but never installed 7.1 because hoped new version would work out of box)

I am using a HP Pavilion 9720us with Atheros AR5007 AMD Turion x2 2gb ram.

Initially, could not even see any wireless network at all.

After I installed ndisgtk ndiswrapper-common and ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 I installed a 64 bit Atheros driver that I picked up off some website which I do not remember.

This resulted in being able to see my network and others in the neighborhood, but when i try to connect, it asks for my WEP KEY (which it should obviously),which i enter,

and then the little graphical network symbol at the top starts doing its whirly thing and

then the bottom left circle (in the whirly) turns green and

then the top right circle turns green (which I have determined means it has connected based on watching the same process on the wire connection--which works by the way) and

then it asks for the WEP KEY again (I can play that game until the cows and the pigs come home)

I would appreciate anyone that would be kind enough to provide a person at below beginner level with Linux some assistance. I am not afraid of the terminal, but I would need exact commands to enter. Sorry for the highly technical communication--i.e. "whirly" and "top right circle" etc.

on last leg--options shoot computer, shoot self or throw computer in trash--none of my options seem good avenue. Wireless probably still not work and might hurt.:)

Thanks.

gordonh
May 17th, 2008, 01:25 AM
you could always hard reset the router and re-configure.

I don't bother with security, and I don't intend to unless it becomes a problem.

chili555
May 17th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I don't bother with security, and I don't intend to unless it becomes a problem.You'll know it's a problem when your personal data is stolen, your credit ruined and your phone and internet service shut off. You won't need encryption then. You might as well leave your home unlocked and your credit card on the table.