PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Multimedia Keys volume control

AcidHawk
May 15th, 2008, 07:04 AM
Hi,

I must say that I am incredibly happy with Hardy on my Inspiron 9300 with an extra external monitor. Everything that I use works. There are some things I never use which I can't comment about, but overall my impression has been great.

I do have a question though. when I use the multimedia keys on the front of the notebook the Master volume is effected, if I mute the sound altogether I can still hear audio. I have subsequently found out that the PCM volume is actually where I am still hearing sounds from and if I mute that all sounds are muted.

Can anybody clear up what PCM is and if I should/can map my multimedia keys to change these controls.

AcidHawk
May 19th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Bump

jaymon2
June 19th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Hi,

I must say that I am incredibly happy with Hardy on my Inspiron 9300 with an extra external monitor. Everything that I use works. There are some things I never use which I can't comment about, but overall my impression has been great.

I do have a question though. when I use the multimedia keys on the front of the notebook the Master volume is effected, if I mute the sound altogether I can still hear audio. I have subsequently found out that the PCM volume is actually where I am still hearing sounds from and if I mute that all sounds are muted.

Can anybody clear up what PCM is and if I should/can map my multimedia keys to change these controls.

I just installed ubuntu on my 9300 also, I have the same problem. When I use the volume control buttons, it doesnt mute the whole sound, or adjust the whole sound. Also I want to try to do packet injection with my intel ABG card with this machine. Any else using a 9300 get packet injecting to work?

UKLooney
July 19th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I also have the same problem with my 9300, seems like the bass is not being muted. Mid and Hitones get muted fine

crouton976
August 23rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
Same problem here... anyone, anyone? Bueller...Bueller....

However, I do know that I had Dapper installed, and when I upgraded to Hardy, everything worked just fine. The downside is, I had to reinstall Windows and Ubuntu due to a screwy partition problem, and now I'm having the same problem. Has anyone tried to call Dell about this? Maybe someone there has the answers since they're offering Ubuntu as a preloaded OS....

buddyd16
January 8th, 2009, 06:28 AM
In the sound properties dialog you need to link the main volume with the laptops' bottom bass speaker by holding control and clicking each item, from what I can gather in my limited exposer to linux this basically tells ubuntu that when the main volume is adjusted the linked components should adjust also.