PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why... why... why?... needless wireless pain with WEP and WPA...

hdensley
May 15th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I have two wireless adapters on my gateway 200arc laptop. Both pick up signals, both work with unencrypted signals.

The thing that really bothers me, is that I can't connect using either WPA1 or WEP. I just don't know why this has to be so hard. I'm on version 8.04

the Intel adapter is Intel Pro 2100 - it's on eth1. The SMC adapter is EZ connect SMCWCB-G - it's on ath0.

I don't have any clue whatsovere why this dosen't work; in lacking any other explanation, I've deducted that it's alien intervention - after all, Mark Shuttleworth did venture into space. I'm wearing

a tinfoil beanie to avoid misguided microwave beams. Please help me, I'm going insane over this problem. Thanks.

Guilden_NL
May 15th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Which version?
Hardy?
Upgraded from Gutsy?
Now have problems?

Tell us more.

Hardy Hates Wireless.

Gias Kay
May 15th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Hardy Hates Wireless.

Nope, I won't say that; it's the default gnome network manager's fault - it's just not working with encrypted wireless. And below is all you need:

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

The page has detailed instructions on installation so I'll spare it here.

Guilden_NL
May 15th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Nope, I won't say that; it's the default gnome network manager's fault - it's just not working with encrypted wireless. And below is all you need:

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

The page has detailed instructions on installation so I'll spare it here.
Fair enough. I am am appalled at Hardy's install routine with its wireless issues and inability to understand a blacklist.

Thanks for the link. I've pointed another person to your link. Haven't checked it out myself yet. But will patter off now and check it out.

I'm quite put off by Hardy's networking mess, if you can't tell from my posts.

Again, thanks for the link. I'll be positive and believe it will work.

hdensley
May 16th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I got it working!
1) Installed Wicd
2) Used Wicd preferences to indicate the following - ath0, madwifi
3) input WPA key into Wicd within quotation marks " "

Thanks for your help.