View Full Version : Dell Laptop Keyboard

May 14th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Can someone tell me how to open my Dell Laptop Keyboard. I have problems with some keys and I want to try to fix it.

May 14th, 2008, 10:59 PM
well its pretty model specific but usually if you open the bottom covers under the keyboard there with be a little picture of a keyboard engraved on the screws that hold it in, at leasts thats the way it was on my old latitude, just unscrew and it should come off with a little coaxing

May 15th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I have Inspiron 1520 Dell laptop. Can someone give me picture with instructions how to do it? I think that only the keyboard from the top can be opened somehow but I dont like to take a risk.

May 15th, 2008, 01:39 PM
This may help. =]

May 15th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Moved to Dell Ubuntu support.

May 15th, 2008, 04:33 PM
This may help. =]

mmmm That help. Thanks ;):popcorn:

November 25th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Dell makes a large number of laptop computers, and one of the main problems with these computers is that the keys can become stuck or damaged. There are several different ways you can repair a damaged laptop keyboard as long as you know what the problem is. After trying a few different things, youíll find that your Dell keyboard will be working as well as it did when you first bought your laptop.

Buy a can of compressed air and spray it on the keyboard if your keys are sticking together. This is the easiest thing you can do to fix the keys on your keyboard. It doesnít work for all problems, but itís a good place to start. Make sure you get the air down inside the keys to clean out any debris, hair or food that may have gotten caught in there.
Replace the inside of the keyboard with a new piece. One of the major problems with Dell keyboards is that the plastic pieces holding the keys in place become loose or broken. You can find a cheap keyboard from Wal-Mart or an electronics store. Simply take apart the new keyboard, pull the keys off your keyboard, lay the plastic piece on top and replace your keys.

Use a small dab of super glue to replace keys that have fallen off. Dell laptops often have keys that fall off, especially as the computer ages or is used quite frequently. Place a small dab of glue directly on the round part that holds the key in place and lightly press the key down. When the glue dries, youíll be able to use your laptop again.
more info at

March 30th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Take a look at http://www.laptopkey.com/installation_guides.php (http://www.laptopkey.com/installation_guides.php)
It clearly shows how to remove and replace a laptop key from a keyboard.

March 31st, 2010, 01:02 PM
If you are not technician then don't try to open it.Once i have tried and I mess up with the tools and parts of laptop and finnaly i have to surrender my laptop to the service center and I t cost too much.