PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Ethernet problems (Dell Vostro 2000)

scottevan
May 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I just installed Kubuntu 8.04 (KDE4) on a new Dell Vostro 2000. Things work great, but I can't get online because my ethernet card doesn't appear to be functioning. KNetworkManager says "Device: No active device". Can anyone give me any suggestions?

lspci -nn shows:

00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection [8086:10c0] (rev 02)

According to http://hardware4linux.info/component/34798/, this card had problems prior to kernel 2.6.23, but my kernel is 2.6.24-16-generic.

Any ideas appreciated! Thanks.

nixscripter
May 14th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Does the card have an interface according to ifconfig -a? I don't know much about KDE, so make sure it's not just a problem there.

scottevan
May 14th, 2008, 07:29 PM
Does the card have an interface according to ifconfig -a? I don't know much about KDE, so make sure it's not just a problem there.
Yeah, I haven't used KDE before either, and it is a little confusing to me. "ifconfig -a" shows eth0. I'm not sure if that is my card.

nixscripter
May 14th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Let's assume for the moment that eth0 is the card.

If you know an IP that would be safe to try, see what happens if you set up the card manually:
sudo ifconfig eth0 safe-ip-addr up Then try to ping something on the local network, like the IP of a router.

scottevan
May 14th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Let's assume for the moment that eth0 is the card.

If you know an IP that would be safe to try, see what happens if you set up the card manually:
sudo ifconfig eth0 safe-ip-addr up Then try to ping something on the local network, like the IP of a router.
Thanks for the guidance!

I chose a safe ip address, ifconfiged as you suggested and then pinged the router but the host was unreachable.

PS - I'm downloading Ubuntu 8.04 to see if this is a Kubuntu issue.

scottevan
May 15th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Yep. Same problem with the Ubuntu 8.04 Live CD. Any ideas? This is a brand new machine, all I've done is adjust the bios (changed hard-drive to RAID to resolve an unrelated issue).

Thanks!

nixscripter
May 15th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Two things come to mind.

First, perhaps it's something in the network topography. Try a hard route to the router as well:
sudo route add default gw router-ip If it doesn't work, then you can undo it with:
sudo route del default gw rotuer-ip

Also, assuming it won't annoy somebody, try a broadcast ping:
sudo ping -c 1 255.255.255.255 That will ask everyone to respond who will listen. Theoretically, the router will answer first, and that will give its IP. This is just in case you mis-guessed the IP.

Second, just to make sure it is the card, is eth0 the only device in that list produced by ifconfig -a, or are there others? There will always be lo, the loopback interface, but ignore that one.

scottevan
May 15th, 2008, 01:11 PM
First, perhaps it's something in the network topography.

Great news! You comment about topography motivated my to rearranged my network. The machine has been on the same line as my Cisco VOIP phone. As soon as I moved it to its own ethernet line, it started working. At some point, I'll try a 7.10 Live CD to see if the quirk originates with 8.04 or the Vostro hardware.

Thanks for the asssistance!