PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless stops working randomly: colour me irritated

TheHeretic
May 14th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Hey guys, first time poster, first time complainer.

So i'm using the latest ubuntu installation (8.04 - 2.6.24.17) and i'm using an Asus P5K E motherboard with inbuilt wireless which uses a little dongle. Ubuntu detects the network fine and connects quickly after asking for the networks password. After a while though, the internet just stops working. The network connection remains but the internet simply fails. I can fix it somewhat by going to the little networking icon in the GUI and disabling then re-enabling "wireless", though after a seemingly random amount of time and reconnection's this stops working as well (it simply fails to connect to the network). At this point I have to restart.

The router is a D Link 524 and everything works A-Ok in Vista, with which I can use the Asus proprietary drivers. This problem is pretty much making Ubuntu unusable, sometimes i'll have to boot 3 times in a row just to be able to connect, and other times i'll be fine for 4 hours without doing a thing.

Any help here would be appreciated, i've heard great things about this forum.

onone
June 4th, 2008, 05:37 AM
I have been having a very similar issue with the base 8.04 install with kernal 2.6.24-16-generic. After the connection goes down, I have to unplug then replug-in my USB Dell 1450 NIC before being able to reestablish connectivity. ifdown/ifup wlan0 doesn't do it. The hardware seems to have to be disassociated.

Doing a dmesg gives the following:

[ 3613.473612] wlan0: no IPv6 routers present
[ 3633.774345] wlan0: No ProbeResp from current AP ##:##:##:##:##:## - assume out of range

I suspect that the gnome-network-manager is at fault here, but have had no luck setting up ndiswrapper and wpa_supplicant after getting rid of it. One possible solution I can see would be to turn off IPv6.

Anyone know how? Or have ideas?

Thanks.

Bubba64
June 4th, 2008, 06:06 AM
Is this your own network or a open wireless connection. If it is a open wireless the signal may be dropping, use the roam option to get the bars for signal strength and drop down of whats available and strength.

onone
June 4th, 2008, 08:10 PM
It's my own network. I've been running 6.10 forever now and am only having issues since the mirgration to 8.04. I know for sure that the network isn't the issue.

I eluded to the fact I've tried uninstalling the gnome-network-manager and installed ndiswrapper with no luck. Under the ndiswrapper scenario there is a wmaster0 interface which is undefined in /etc/networking/interfaces but seems to persist no matter what I do.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Thanks.