PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] File sharing problem between Ubuntu 8.04 and Vista computers

chooch
May 14th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Hi guys,
After hours of trying to work out this problem, this is what happens now:
My Ubuntu machine display my 2 Vista computers, but when I click on them, I don't see any shared folders.
Needles to say that everything worked before I installed Ubuntu.
On the other side, I fixed the problem I had; The Vista computers now have full access to the shared folders on my Ubuntu computer.
I'm trying to fix this problem for HOURS, so please help [-o<

superprash2003
May 14th, 2008, 02:22 AM
have you tried typing smb://(ip address of vista) under location in places->computer

chooch
May 14th, 2008, 08:13 AM
yes, didn't work

Iowan
May 14th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I just discovered this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=780274) post... so now I think it's the cure for all Hardy Samba problems. It would possibly help if you could have accessed the machine by IP address... try it anyway.

chooch
May 14th, 2008, 11:26 PM
it doesn't work. what else should I do?

chooch
May 21st, 2008, 01:45 AM
?

Iowan
May 21st, 2008, 02:54 AM
Windows boxes have firewalls either turned off, or set to allow filesharing? I don't have either Vista OR Hardy, so please excuse a dumb comment... I have better luck connection via Places>"Connect to Server" - dunno if that option is still in Hardy, apparently sharing options have changed.

chooch
May 21st, 2008, 10:41 AM
firewalls off,windows computers have no problem between itself. connect to server doesn't work either.

sinofemp
November 24th, 2008, 03:33 PM
same problem here....
somebody please help......:confused:

TutonicMonkey
November 24th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I can confirm this issue too. Here is my post on the topic and what I have attempted.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=986574

Still no luck :confused:

gabriel2007
December 25th, 2008, 09:55 PM
I have the same problem,

it's a bug

of Samba with Gnome as with KDE based distros work perfectly, it's not ubuntu 8.xx, it's all the linux distros.

you can browse all the computers in the network but you don't see any shared folder on vista or server 2008 computers, on windows xp computers or 2003 server you can see all with Gnome.

if you type smb://vista_computer/the_shared_folder

you will see all the files within it, it's a hassle though

greetings