PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] May 13 updates and openssh-server

jetsam
May 13th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I just ran into a problem with today's updates and openssh-server. I got this error message when doing the upgrade on Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10.

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/openssh-server_1%3a4.6p1-5ubuntu0.3_i386.deb: subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 255

I don't know if anyone else is getting this as well, but the following seemed to work for me to revert the upgrade and make ssh install cleanly:

sudo apt-get install openssh-client=1:4.6p1-5ubuntu0.2
and then:

sudo apt-get install openssh-server=1:4.6p1-5ubuntu0.2

Please note: The above commands are for Gutsy 7.10 only, and will need to be modified with different package versions for different Ubuntu versions.

I needed to revert openssh-client as well, or openssh-server wouldn't install.

I'm pretty sure this situation will be changing soon if it's widespread, but I thought this might help in the meantime.

Added: Reverting may not be necessary. I just retried the update, and it doesn't actually break openssh-server-- it just looks like it does because of the error message. The package also gets flagged as broken in Synaptic. Having a broken package in Synaptic seems to break update manager, too.

herda05
May 13th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the info Jetsam. I simply clicked update and suddenly broke my ssh, then used this to get it back up.

jetsam
May 13th, 2008, 10:19 PM
The problem has been fixed by new updates. I needed to hit the "Check" button in update manager to get the latest (...ubuntu0.4 version number).

With the new update, I did run into trouble connecting after the new update generated new keys. If you're using password authentication, on the client system, renaming ~/.ssh/known_hosts will cause it to be regenerated the next time it's needed and allow new key generation and reconnection.