PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't see windows shares over secured wireless network

t2hause
May 13th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I'm having an issue with Ubuntu 8.04 and I can't seem to find anyone with the same problem or a solution. I connect to two wireless networks: one at home and one at work. The one at home is WEP secured and the one at work is unsecured. I can browse network shares at work but not at home. Any ideas?

bluefrog
May 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
any firewall on your windows at home?

in nautilus, type in the address bar

smb://your-windows-IP/c$

should give you something, if not, your windows is certainly the problem.

t2hause
May 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks, I will try when I get home. Also on the home network is a Maxtor Harddrive that networks to the router directly and I cannot access it either. As far as I know it doesn't have a firewall. What could be the issue there?

bluefrog
May 13th, 2008, 07:55 PM
can you ping everything from all boxes?

t2hause
May 14th, 2008, 12:34 AM
The only computer that responds to a ping is the ubuntu box. However, when I type "smb://windows-ip/c$" and enter a password the share mounts and I can access it no problem. I just can't browse the shares or ping any windows computers.

t2hause
May 14th, 2008, 02:40 PM
now i'm on the network at work and tried to ping the windows boxes and they wouldn't respond either. yet, i can browse and access their shares no problem. could it somehow be because this network is unsecured but my home network uses shared WEP key?