PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless Internet Connection problem

Chacon-66
May 13th, 2008, 01:36 AM
Let me state this early I am very new to Linux, first installed it 3 days ago.

I have been busting my brains for a total of 24 hours not including sleep nonstop trying to find a solution to my PCI Adapter problem. I have looked through google intensively and tried all how-to's that I could find and I cannot find a solution.

I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my old Gateway desktop which is pentium 3 and has 512mb of Ram. It does not have a Ethernet Adapter so a while back my dad bought a Linksys Wireless - G PCI Adapter with Speedbooster and it worked fine on Windows ME. So right now the computer running Ubuntu has no internet connectivity at all, not even dial up. Once I installed Ubuntu there was no going back to Windows ME because I cannot find the OS CD.

I am looking for a how-to that does not include any connectivity with the internet. I can download stuff on this PC(windows XP) and do have a USB to transfer files to my other computer running ubuntu.

When I type in lspci in the terminal this shows up =
"Broadcom corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller" so I guess it does know it is there. Also if any use to know I am using a WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router.

superprash2003
May 13th, 2008, 02:21 AM
could you go to the terminal and type iwconfig and post output here

Chacon-66
May 13th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Yes the output of iwconfig are =

lo no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2346 B
Link Quality:0 Signal Level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

(Sorry if something is misspelled, I cannot Copy/Paste)

Chacon-66
May 13th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Need help please

Ayuthia
May 13th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Let me state this early I am very new to Linux, first installed it 3 days ago.

I have been busting my brains for a total of 24 hours not including sleep nonstop trying to find a solution to my PCI Adapter problem. I have looked through google intensively and tried all how-to's that I could find and I cannot find a solution.

I have installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my old Gateway desktop which is pentium 3 and has 512mb of Ram. It does not have a Ethernet Adapter so a while back my dad bought a Linksys Wireless - G PCI Adapter with Speedbooster and it worked fine on Windows ME. So right now the computer running Ubuntu has no internet connectivity at all, not even dial up. Once I installed Ubuntu there was no going back to Windows ME because I cannot find the OS CD.

I am looking for a how-to that does not include any connectivity with the internet. I can download stuff on this PC(windows XP) and do have a USB to transfer files to my other computer running ubuntu.

When I type in lspci in the terminal this shows up =
"Broadcom corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller" so I guess it does know it is there. Also if any use to know I am using a WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router.

I am not sure about which version of the 4318 you have (you can check by typing lspci -nn at the Terminal), but it looks like the best bet is to try NDISwrapper. You can install NDISwrapper from the liveCD. Just install ndiswrapper-common and ndiswrapper-utils-1.9. Here is a guide that can help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Feisty_No-Fluff

Chacon-66
May 14th, 2008, 03:29 AM
Ok so I installed NDISwrapper, and now the computer recognizes the Driver but every time I go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers I find "Broadcom B43 wireless driver" and every time I try to click on the enable box my computer crashes and I have to turn it off by pressing its power button. What should I do?

Ayuthia
May 14th, 2008, 04:09 AM
Ok so I installed NDISwrapper, and now the computer recognizes the Driver but every time I go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers I find "Broadcom B43 wireless driver" and every time I try to click on the enable box my computer crashes and I have to turn it off by pressing its power button. What should I do?You don't want to enable the driver if you are using NDISwrapper. The Hardware Drivers will try to load the native linux Broadcom driver and that will create conflicts with NDISwrapper.

I am not for sure about where you are in the ndiswrapper isntall. Does ndiswrapper -l show the device (14e4:4318) present statement? If so, have you done:

sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

Chacon-66
May 14th, 2008, 05:31 AM
When I type in sudo ndiswrapper -l it shows "bcmwl5 : driver installed" but nothing else. What do I do to get the device to show up?

Ayuthia
May 14th, 2008, 06:03 AM
When I type in sudo ndiswrapper -l it shows "bcmwl5 : driver installed" but nothing else. What do I do to get the device to show up?You need to try another driver until it say device (14e4:43XX) present. You might try another driver in the No-Fluff list.

Chacon-66
May 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Where can I find the No-Fluff list?

Chacon-66
May 14th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Help please.

Ayuthia
May 14th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Where can I find the No-Fluff list?

Sorry, the link was in post #5. Here it is again: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Driver/bcm43xx/Feisty_No-Fluff

Chacon-66
May 15th, 2008, 05:10 AM
So I followed directions and I started to do 2a but problem is I don't have cabextract, where can I get it?

and also when I try to follow his guide to adding the Universe and Multiverse Repositories I end up not being able to find "Software Properties" under System > Administration.

Ayuthia
May 15th, 2008, 04:00 PM
So I followed directions and I started to do 2a but problem is I don't have cabextract, where can I get it?

and also when I try to follow his guide to adding the Universe and Multiverse Repositories I end up not being able to find "Software Properties" under System > Administration.

Here is the link (http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/utils/cabextract). You will need to pick either the i386 version (32-bit) or the amd64(64-bit) version. Once you have it in Ubuntu, go to the directory on where it is located and click on the icon. Or you can do in the terminal:
32-bit:

sudo dpkg -i cabextract_1.2-2_i386.deb

64-bit:

sudo dpkg -i cabextract_1.2-2_amd64.deb