PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Usb to Serial Hardware modem

StuipedandUgly
May 12th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Hi I'm setting up Xubuntu on a friends computer(yes im spreading Ubuntu like a virus) and they have 56k internet, so basically heres the question, If i used this modem:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=671884
(which i bought and successfully set up on my friends computer(he also has 56k internet obviously but he also has a serial port).
and then i bought a Usb-->Serial connector

then hook the modem up threw a usb connection could I get it to work, and if so how?

yea and I would be most likely using a Xubuntu also the my friend is getting a lap top that she wants to hook up to the internet as well, im going to put ubuntu on it so if you could give me help for setting it up on 2 different distributions that would be cool

Also this is completely off topic but, My friends computer is an old P4 and was just wondering what the lightest version of ubuntu is and what can i do to make it perform very fast,I heard it was Xubuntu that was the best but then i read that it was buggy and not much faster. IDK I just want to make the computer fast to save these people money.

EmilyRose
May 13th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I have an old Best Data serial modem working with 8.04 via a Radio Shack serial-usb connector. I'd think that would work just fine, but who knows. I do know that my serial-usb connector did *NOT* work in 7.10 a couple months ago when I first bought it. So I'd keep that in mind when thinking about a 'light' version of ubuntu. How much RAM does that system have? In my experience setting up ubuntu on older systems RAM is the biggest stumbling block - you absolutely HAVE to have at LEAST 256, and preferably 512!!

Good luck!!

StuipedandUgly
May 15th, 2008, 04:58 AM
thanks for the response and its good to know that it works with usb -> serial. Did you just use the scan serial port command or what did you do to make it detect the modem? did it detect it automatically?

If any one could hook me up with the scan serial port command to get the modem to detect i would be very grateful I have forgot it and can not for some reason find it

Her old computer runs pretty fast off CD so i assume when it installs it should be awesome