PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MTU change for AOL, how?

LandRoverMan
May 12th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I've just upgraded to Hardy Heron and I was delighted by how well the new new network manager set up picked up my adapter and worked with roaming mode after having to set it up manually for the last few releases.

I am however having a problem. I need to reduce my MTU from the default 1500 down to 1400 to work properly with AOL (I know but the girlfriend pays for it because she likes the chat:redface::redface: ). I can't find how to do this and my searches are providing little help.

Oh BTW she is AOL chatting on a M$ machine which I set up using DRTCP

Regards Rob.

chili555
May 12th, 2008, 12:24 PM
sudo ifconfig eth0 mtu 1400Substitute your interface, if it's not eth0. You might also check in the administration pages of your router to see if there is an MTU setting to adjust.

LandRoverMan
May 12th, 2008, 01:23 PM
That's solved it!
Thanks a lot.
It was wlan0 in my case.

sudo ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1400

chili555
May 12th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Does it survive a reboot? if not, you can add the command, without sudo to /etc/rc.local above exit 0, on it's own line.

LandRoverMan
May 12th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Does it survive a reboot? if not, you can add the command, without sudo to /etc/rc.local above exit 0, on it's own line.

In a word NO! lol

your solution does though thanks.

Open a text editor

sudo nano /etc/rc.local
then paste in as described above.

sudo ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1400
then just for good measure I did a

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

MonkeyMotorSport (http://www.monkeymotorsport.co.uk)

con
June 1st, 2008, 08:26 PM
I did the above on my laptop, but it doesn't survive a suspend. Its been suggested in other threads to append the line "mtu 1440" to the file /etc/network/interfaces, but this doesn't seem to work.

This is what I have in /etc/networking/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.0.0.0
mtu 1440