PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] no sound with audio files

statelypenguin
May 12th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I don't have sound with amarok/rhythmbox/whatever when i try to play audio files. with amarok it says i need to install libxine-1ffmpeg, which i also cant install using synaptic. i also can't play ogg vorbis. it loads the song, but it just never plays, the track progress stays at 0:00.

youtube works, and videos i download to my comp work. it's just with audio files.

it should also be mentioned that sometimes i'll just get no sound whatsoever. youtube vids play but no sound, etc. i then have to restart and it's back to normal.

it really just bothers me because everything worked fine with gutsy, but ever since i've upgraded i can't get these to work.

hermes0710
May 12th, 2008, 10:07 AM
It seems that you are missing some basic packages. Try installing kaffeine and mplayer (other essential packages will be installed too). What do you mean you can't install libxine-1ffmpeg?

The youtube videos with no sound is a known bug and it has to do with simultaneous playback of flash video and any other media.

statelypenguin
May 12th, 2008, 12:52 PM
i've already got gstreamer, and kaffeine didn't seem to do anything.

when i try to install the libxine package, it brings up a list of other packages to install. i okay that and it says.

Could not mark all packages for installation or upgrade

libxine1-ffmpeg:
Depends: libxine1 (<1.1.8) but 1.1.11.1-1ubuntu3 is to be installed

now i've tried asking questions as to what that means, several times, but no one ever responds, so thank you for even doing that.

statelypenguin
May 12th, 2008, 12:53 PM
and that's an "8 )" not a stupid smiley face.

hermes0710
May 12th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Which ubuntu release do you use?

statelypenguin
May 12th, 2008, 10:27 PM
hardy. all this worked fine with gutsy. i guess it all goes back to the libxine problem, but i asked what to do awhile ago on here and didn't get anything.