PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Selective PolicyKit control for manual networking

fishtoprecords
May 12th, 2008, 12:13 AM
Since Hardy has PolicyKit, it gets in the way of my needs to adjust the network setup manually for work, home, wired, wireless, etc.

There is a 'unlock' button, but I don't need to constantly unlock and enter a password.

How do I disable it, or enable it forever? Once I've logged in, I don't want any extra security helping me on the networking side.

I've followed all the links I can find from googling PolicyKit and there seem to be only very limited man pages. I don't see how to use it, edit it, or what ties the "Manual networking" application into PolicyKit

Thanks
Pat

davey.moore
May 15th, 2008, 11:11 AM
I think i just found a method, you go to

System > Administration > Authorizations

and once there

org > freedesktop > systemtoolsbackends > Manage system configuration

Once there you click on Grant, select your user, and I chose "Must be in active session on local console", because at the moment I don't need more than that.

This gives password-free access to many more things (as you can imagine) than the network-manager.

I am using this method though until i find something specific.

fishtoprecords
May 15th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks. I agree its a bit of a sledgehammer, but it works. When we learn how to be more specific, we should update this thread.

ouro
August 20th, 2008, 12:45 PM
My problem was well described by colbster on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5627700#post5627700
and is related to this topic. I was testing with Authorizations too, but as davey.moore says, this solution give access to more things than I want.