PDA

View Full Version : I'm finally trying a different WM

cardinals_fan
May 11th, 2008, 09:23 PM
I want a little help deciding on a WM. Openbox is great, but I need something new to play with. Here are my needs:

* It should be in Pkgsrc. Check at http://pkgsrc.se/wm
* Keyboard shortcuts must be configurable. This is not negotiable.
* I use most of my apps full screen. Maybe 70% of my time is spent in a fullscreen web browser or terminal. Another 20% is in Abiword, Gnumeric, Evince or PCManFM, all fullscreen. That leaves only 10% in non-fullscreen windows.
* Alt-tab window switching is nice.
* Virtual desktops (or perhaps the Ratpoison workspace system) are a must. This is required.
* Conky support should be good - it's my lifeline :)
* Easy to understand config files
* Lightweight (of course ;) )

brunovecchi
May 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Have you tried awesome (http://awesome.naquadah.org/)? It's what I'm using right now, I find it better than wmii. It fulfills all of the requirements you just posted!

And... (I couldn't resist, sorry)

it's awesome.

chucky chuckaluck
May 11th, 2008, 10:26 PM
i would also say awesome. i think it meets most of your requirements, though i'm not sure about conky (i don't use it).

urukrama
May 11th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Try Pekwm. It is an awesome window manager.

chris4585
May 11th, 2008, 11:11 PM

I'm a openbox fan, and I don't plan on leaving it any time soon. I've always wanted to try awesome, or wmii, or pekwm, all of those I want to try, but right now I have my system as I like it, please inform us of your experiences :D

cardinals_fan
May 11th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Don't get me wrong, Pekwm is great. But I prefer Openbox. I mostly want to try a very lightweight, perhaps tiling, WM. Awesome looks good for the tiling front. Has anybody tried Ratpoison?

zmjjmz
May 12th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Try vtwm
It prolly isn't in pkgsrc, bit it may meet all your other requirements. (expect lotsa configgin, and it won't be pretty)
Edit: It's in pkgsrc

urukrama
May 12th, 2008, 12:32 AM
please inform us of your experiences :D

I've been using Pekwm almost constantly for the last few months. It isn't as polished as Openbox, but I really like it. It has a lot of the great features of Openbox, some of the good things of Fluxbox (tabbing!), and some nice additional ones (screen edges!).

chucky chuckaluck
May 12th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Don't get me wrong, Pekwm is great. But I prefer Openbox. I mostly want to try a very lightweight, perhaps tiling, WM. Awesome looks good for the tiling front. Has anybody tried Ratpoison?

i've found ratpoison a bit awkward when compared to wmii, dwm, awesome and xmonad.

cardinals_fan
May 12th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I've pkg_added awesome. Would any of you awesome users mind starting me out with an awesomerc?

chris4585
May 12th, 2008, 12:52 AM
I've been using Pekwm almost constantly for the last few months. It isn't as polished as Openbox, but I really like it. It has a lot of the great features of Openbox, some of the good things of Fluxbox (tabbing!), and some nice additional ones (screen edges!).

What do you mean tabbing, and screen edges?

msrinath80
May 12th, 2008, 12:56 AM
I use Windowmaker almost exclusively. It has been my favorite since 1998.

cardinals_fan
May 12th, 2008, 12:57 AM
What do you mean tabbing, and screen edges?
Tabbed windows are great. Middle-click a window and drag it onto another one, and the two will merge into a tabbed window. Click between the tabs on the top of the window border. Screen edges let you launch apps from the edges of the screen - think Compiz.

chris4585
May 12th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Tabbed windows are great. Middle-click a window and drag it onto another one, and the two will merge into a tabbed window. Click between the tabs on the top of the window border. Screen edges let you launch apps from the edges of the screen - think Compiz.

Thanks for the info, but that's what virtual desktops are used for imo, I see virtual desktops as grouping places.

brunovecchi
May 12th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I've pkg_added awesome. Would any of you awesome users mind starting me out with an awesomerc?

Here's a great, complete guide:
Setting up AwesomeWM (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=678902&highlight=setting+awesomeWm)

May I suggest you throw in xcompmgr for transparency support and nice shadows? I followed this guide (http://www.jabberoo.net/index.php/2008/03/16/my-perfect-arch-x-and-awesome/) for that (bottom line of the article).

Hope it helps.

kerry_s
May 12th, 2008, 02:52 AM
I want a little help deciding on a WM. Openbox is great, but I need something new to play with. Here are my needs:

* It should be in Pkgsrc. Check at http://pkgsrc.se/wm
* Keyboard shortcuts must be configurable. This is not negotiable.
* I use most of my apps full screen. Maybe 70% of my time is spent in a fullscreen web browser or terminal. Another 20% is in Abiword, Gnumeric, Evince or PCManFM, all fullscreen. That leaves only 10% in non-fullscreen windows.
* Alt-tab window switching is nice.
* Virtual desktops (or perhaps the Ratpoison workspace system) are a must. This is required.
* Conky support should be good - it's my lifeline :)
* Easy to understand config files
* Lightweight (of course ;) )

good for you, you should try new things when ever you can, not just wm's, try different programs to. the repo is full of alternatives. :)

cardinals_fan
May 12th, 2008, 05:30 AM
good for you, you should try new things when ever you can, not just wm's, try different programs to. the repo is full of alternatives. :)
I already have a perfect assortment of 'alternative' programs. It's a relative term because NetBSD doesn't have a lot in the way of defaults ;)

cardinals_fan
May 15th, 2008, 03:49 AM
I think I've narrowed things down some. The three left on my list are Xmonad, wmii, and dwm. Awesome was buggy. Of the three above, what experiences have you had?

init1
May 15th, 2008, 04:13 AM
I tried ratpoison, but never used it for very long. I guess I just prefer ion and dwm.