PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wireless network card installed but what next?

joshpond
May 11th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Hi all,

I'd appreciate any help you can give if you could please keep it simple as this is the first time I've tried anything linux.

I've installed gusty and am trying to get my netgear WG311v3 wireless card installed and logging onto the network.

I've installed ndiswrapper and have gotten what I believe to be the driver installed.
ndiswrapper -l
shows:

netwg311 : driver installed
device (11AB:1FAA) present

however I don't know what to do next.

I've tried copying this help page that ran:
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
but I have no idea what that does and nothing seems to work.

Where do I go from here?

Thanks Josh

chili555
May 11th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Josh-

Welcome to the party! We were all new once upon a time, so don't feel shy. Ask all the questions you need to. Sometimes we have little pile-ups to give the answer! One question sometimes get 5-6 answers.
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
but I have no idea what that does and nothing seems to work.
sudo means, roughly, Super User (he who can do anything) do this command. modprobe means insert this module and any other modules needed to get it to work properly into the system. ndiswrapper is simply the module you want inserted. When you issue the command and the cursor just pops back to the prompt, it means, OK, I executed that command and I have no errors or warnings to report.

Can you see the Network Manager icon at the top right? If you click it, you should be able to select your network and connect.

joshpond
May 12th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the reply,

I've done all that and like you said just a new blank line comes up so I assume it all went well and nothing went wrong.

However when I click on the network tab there is no wireless connection available, just the the two standard ones. (Can't remember exactly but I think its the wired roaming and some other.)

Thanks Josh

chili555
May 12th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Let's look at these terminal commands:
ifconfig
iwconfigThanks.

rogier.de.groot
May 12th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure if this is appropriate for your situation, but several people, myself included, have had problems with the 'ssb' module taking over the wireless card before ndiswrapper can get to it. Try 'lsmod' to see a list of loaded modules (in a terminal window), or 'lsmod | grep ssb' just to check for ssb.
If ssb is there it might be messing with your wireless. Try
'sudo rmmod ssb'
'sudo rmmod ndiswrapper'
'sudo modprobe ndiswrapper'
and then wait a little while (half a minute or somesuch) before checking the network applet (next to the volume applet, top-right of your screen) if your wireless network is being detected.
Good luck, hope it helps.

joshpond
May 14th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Hi guys, thank for the help so far.

I thought I posted something here yesterday but it looks like it didn't come up so here goes again.

I've tried the ssb and it wasn't loaded.

Ifconfig and iwconfig are below:

josh@josh-desktop:~$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0F:EA:B7:AA:6F
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Interrupt:21 Base address:0xe800

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:256 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:256 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:19968 (19.5 KB) TX bytes:19968 (19.5 KB)

josh@josh-desktop:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

I hope this helps.

thanks Josh

joshpond
May 16th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Shameless bump...

Anyone?

Thanks Josh

PaJoe
May 16th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Shameless bump...

Anyone?

Thanks Josh

It is rough when you are all alone and don't even know how to identify the problem, I am a little further along than you are, but still don't have it either. However, when I run iwconfig after plugging in my usb wireless adapter I get the following:

buntu:~$ sudo iwconfig

wlan0 RT73 WLAN ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz Bit Rate=54 Mb/s
RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Encryption key:off
Link Quality=0/100 Signal level:-121 dBm Noise level:-111 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

That makes me think you still don't have your driver installed properly, sorry I can't help you, but I didn't want you to think no one cares. I don't use ndswrapper . At one point I was able to get things moving by using: sudo dhclient wlan0

mplexus
May 16th, 2008, 01:12 PM
when you issue sudo modprobe ndiswrapper what does it say on /var/log/messages about ndiswrapper? It might report a failure.

also, is this on a laptop? if yes, does it have a special button to enable the wireless card first?

also, if you want to bypass network manager have you looked at this? http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684495

Ayuthia
May 16th, 2008, 01:42 PM
You will want to see if ndiswrapper has been loaded. Can you post your lshw -C network results? There will be a line that contains "driver:" It should have ndiswrapper in there. If it doesn't then ndiswrapper did not load.

Another check is to do the following:

lsmod|grep ndiswrapper
This will go through all the active modules and find with that contains ndiswrapper. If nothing comes up, then it is not loaded. From there we need to see why it did not load. As mplexus, you can check /var/log/messages. An alternative to this is to check /var/log/dmesg or type dmesg in a Terminal. This is similar to /var/log/messages, but it only lists things for the current session instead of including the last few boots.

joshpond
May 17th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Hi guys,

thanks for all the help.

After Pajoe thought the driver may not have been installed properly I decided to reinstall Ubuntu and reinstall the drivers all over from scratch.

I followed this setup and one differece is that I used the marvel driver instead of the netgear, don't know if this made a difference but...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/Device/TRENDnet_TEW-421PC_H/W%3aB1_%28ndiswrapper%29?highlight=%28WifiDocs%2FD evice%29

this seems to have worked and the device is now loaded and it comes up under the network applet.

josh@desktop:~$ iwconfig

wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:1 Mb/s Sensitivity=-200 dBm
RTS thr=2346 B Fragment thr=2346 B
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

So thanks for all your help. i just have to connect it up to the network now as dhcp doesn't work.

I know that it is a wired network with a wireless router but can't remember if it is static or not.

Thanks for the help.

zspitzer
May 20th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I just tried the same and it failed.. again, this wg311v3 card is annoying

i'm on 8.0.4 64 bit

[ 50.022138] ndiswrapper: using IRQ 17
[ 50.035441] ndiswrapper (mp_init:216): couldn't initialize device: C0000001
[ 50.035448] ndiswrapper (pnp_start_device:439): Windows driver couldn't initialize the device (C0000001)
[ 50.035458] ndiswrapper (mp_halt:259): device ffff8100b12cf700 is not initialized - not halting
[ 50.035460] ndiswrapper: device eth%d removed

Ayuthia
May 20th, 2008, 04:19 PM
I just tried the same and it failed.. again, this wg311v3 card is annoying

i'm on 8.0.4 64 bit

[ 50.022138] ndiswrapper: using IRQ 17
[ 50.035441] ndiswrapper (mp_init:216): couldn't initialize device: C0000001
[ 50.035448] ndiswrapper (pnp_start_device:439): Windows driver couldn't initialize the device (C0000001)
[ 50.035458] ndiswrapper (mp_halt:259): device ffff8100b12cf700 is not initialized - not halting
[ 50.035460] ndiswrapper: device eth%d removed
You might try:

sudo modprobe -r ndiswrapper
sudo depmod -ae
sudo modprobe ndiswrapperand see if it clears it up in dmesg. If it does not, you might try another driver.