PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Static IP & Wifi problems

tutwabee
May 11th, 2008, 01:05 AM
I set a static IP address for my computer a while back to make port forwarding easier on my network. I am using the "Manual Configuration" window in knetworkmanager to manage the IP.

A few times a day my network connection will go down and I have found one fairly reliable but unusual way to fix it. The only way I have managed to fix it each time is to change the key type (I use a WEP key) from Hexadecimal to ASCII. Then I click OK and wait for the settings to change. Running "ip addr" after this gives me:

4: eth1: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
link/ether 00:13:02:e0:c6:5d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.0.55/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global eth1

Then I reopen the window and set the key to Hexademical again (like it should be) and I re-enter the key. After this my problem is solved until the next time I lose a connection to the network. Running "ip addr" at this point gives me this:

4: eth1: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast qlen 1000
link/ether 00:13:02:e0:c6:5d brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
inet 192.168.0.55/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global eth1
inet6 fe80::213:2ff:fee0:c65d/64 scope link
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever

Why does this happen and how can I fix it?

tutwabee
May 12th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I am still having this problem. In fact, I am recently running into the problem that I often cannot re-establish a wifi connection until I obtain a dynamic ip via dhcp and then follow the above steps. Sometimes I simply need to obtain a dynamic ip address and then get a proper static ip and it will work.

This problem is very annoying so it would be wonderful if someone could help me with it. This is the most annoying problem I have had with my system in a while considering I have to go through the motions repeatedly to obtain a new ip address multiple times a day and my internet connection never stays up over night.