PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Replacement for Windows movie maker

ktechman
May 10th, 2008, 04:59 AM
I am in need of a simple movie maker program for Ubuntu that will import files from a digital camcorder with a hard drive as recording media allow me to edit and render the output and then put them into a format that can be played by a standard DVD player and then burn the end product. It needs to have a simple Interface for the user with an intuitive setup program. Am I dreaming?

ad_267
May 10th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Avidemux is a good simple one. Kdenlive is a bit more advanced I think. I'm not sure that brasero is very good for burning movies to DVD, I think K3B would be a better option for that.

ktechman
May 10th, 2008, 05:51 AM
How "easy" are these to use. Are there a lot of settings that I have to manipulate to get a finished product. Most of the software is difficult to use unless you have a lot of experience.

pooyaplus
May 10th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Hey guys.
I've been looking for the same thing.
Hope this thread can help!:lolflag:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=787964&highlight=movie

cotcot
May 10th, 2008, 08:26 AM
How "easy" are these to use. Are there a lot of settings that I have to manipulate to get a finished product. Most of the software is difficult to use unless you have a lot of experience.

Avidemux, kdenlive, kino etc are not difficult to use. Look to the documentation page of the apps for manuals.
Apps like Cinelerra and in a lesser extend Blender needs more manual studying and experience.

Cresho
May 10th, 2008, 10:00 AM
yes, i just graduated from windows to linux. I am currently using kino. For What I use it, it is very good dv editor. It even converts files to dv automatically for easier editing under kino. In fact, Kino edits DV files faster and renders them easier than windows using vegas video. Not as robust but better. I just graduated from kino to...........Cinellera and installed it using this method.

VERY VERY VERY HARD>>> I havent started using it yet but it scared me with the options. http://akiradproject.net/repository

cotcot
May 10th, 2008, 12:35 PM
yes, i just graduated from windows to linux. I am currently using kino. For What I use it, it is very good dv editor. It even converts files to dv automatically for easier editing under kino. In fact, Kino edits DV files faster and renders them easier than windows using vegas video. Not as robust but better. I just graduated from kino to...........Cinellera and installed it using this method.

VERY VERY VERY HARD>>> I havent started using it yet but it scared me with the options. http://akiradproject.net/repository

Take your time. I can advise to read carefully the good cinelerra manual. Do not forget to have a look at the Blender Video Sequence Editor.

ktechman
May 10th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Thank you everyone. After I posted last night I installed Tovid and DeVeDe and both look very simple to use. Tovid has two entries on my "Sound and Video" a Tovid GUI and ToDisc GUI. The latter produced a Gui that could not be read the font was @ 1, yes it was that small, when I tried ctrl ++ it had dno effect, so who knows why that happened, although the terminal came up with the program. Anyway they both seem to be easy to use and very functional.

Regards