View Full Version : [ubuntu] wireless problem

May 7th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I came to this forum to find info on uninstalling ubuntu and saw that some where offering help in lieu of uninstalling. I have asked this before and received no help, but will give it one more shot and then goodbye ubuntu. So long ago that I had to re-register.

I have it on a separate partition with XP Pro on the other. I can get wireless to work through XP but not through ubuntu.

XP handle the setup without a hitch but I am at my wits end to figure out how to make ubuntu pick it up.

I have a wireless DSL router in the house, this computer is in a shop area with a USB wireless adapter hooked up. You need a key to connect and I have entered that #. The main thing seems to be that ubuntu does not even 'see' the USB adapter and not the wireless connections availability either.

OK, wuz up!

May 7th, 2008, 09:01 PM
the reason you dont have wireless is because you dont have the proper drivers installed yet

what is the brand and model number of your wireless card?

Is it internal or external?

please post the output of theese two commands (one at a time)

May 7th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I'm sorry, I guess I know a lot about windows computers but not one dang thing about Linux based os's. I haven't the fogiest idea of where you want me to input those commands.

But let me straighten out a couple of things;
I said that the system does not see the router, it 'may' be seeing it in that it does show it in network connections or whatever that area is called. I reentered the key and it still says it can't find the page (or any page for that matter.

sorry for that error in my post, but what now?

May 7th, 2008, 10:26 PM
it 'may' be seeing it in that it does show it in network connections or whatever that area is called

so are you saying that you have the wireless connection icon, and it says your connected but you still cant browse the web?

or are you saying you don't see any networks to connect to?

May 7th, 2008, 10:38 PM
I can go to the networks area and I can see the wireless connection radiotower icon with the router identified.
I do not see any kind of icon on the firefox page area that indicates a connection presense.
Hate to sya this now that I am getting some help, but I need to leave for an evening appointment. Will be back online in the morning around 6:30. Sorry