PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] script launcher pause

alphaniner
May 7th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Is there a command to put a 'pause' in a script? I have a few scripts that just print something on the screen ie:
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
I made a launcher (type: application in terminal) on the desktop. Of course when I run the launcher, a terminal window pops up and then disappears straightaway. So what I need is a way to pause things until I press a key or something. Is this possible? Thanks.

spiderbatdad
May 7th, 2008, 08:41 PM
i believe the 'read' command will cause the script to wait for input:

cat /proc/scsi/scsi
read
Then enter key will exit.

alphaniner
May 7th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Nope, that didn't do it. Still flashed in and out. And I typed the script into the terminal, I got

Attached devices:
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 02 Lun: 00
Vendor: IBM Model: ULTRIUM-TD1 Rev: 36U3
Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: ATA Model: HDS724040KLSA80 Rev: KFAO
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 05
read: 3: arg count

Monicker
May 7th, 2008, 09:25 PM
How about

cat /proc/scsi/scsi && read a

alphaniner
May 7th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Woot! That worked. Any chance you can give me a brief explanation why? Or maybe a link? Thanks.

Monicker
May 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM
The read command is used to pass user input to the shell, but it requires an argument so that it knows to which variable it should assign the input. You got the error previously because no variable name was given. Basically the "read a" is waiting for you to enter something to be assigned to the variable "a". Once you hit enter it has what it wants. Since no more processing is actually being done, it just exits afterwards.

spiderbatdad
May 7th, 2008, 10:25 PM
The read command is used to pass user input to the shell, but it requires an argument so that it knows to which variable it should assign the input. You got the error previously because no variable name was given. Basically the "read a" is waiting for you to enter something to be assigned to the variable "a". Once you hit enter it has what it wants. Since no more processing is actually being done, it just exits afterwards.

Works fine for me as I posted it. No arg required. Shell waits for return key. Maybe because launcher forks the process of op?

Monicker
May 7th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Works fine for me as I posted it. No arg required. Shell waits for return key. Maybe because launcher forks the process of op?

Could be. I saw the same behavior as him when I launched via gui. Now that I try it via terminal session, just "read" is sufficient.