PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] recommend program for website creation?

lila
May 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Hello,
can someone recommend a simple to use program for web site creation? Well, by simple to use, I mean one with instructions written for non-technical people.
Purpose of site: small business, no e-commerce, but, say, a couple of dozen pages and a picture gallery in a trilingual parallel set-up (identical sites in translated version, with choice of language on the first page).

Thanks,
Lila:KS

tamoneya
May 7th, 2008, 07:30 PM
kompozer or bluefish
sudo apt-get install kompozer
sudo apt-get install bluefish

lila
May 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I've had a look at the short descriptions in synaptic, bluefish is labeled as "for the experienced web editor", which ain't me, but kompozer looks interesting, I had a look at their site, too. I'll download that and see where it gets me!
Thanks!
Lila:)

packrat
May 7th, 2008, 07:53 PM
I've had a look at the short descriptions in synaptic, bluefish is labeled as "for the experienced web editor", which ain't me, but kompozer looks interesting, I had a look at their site, too. I'll download that and see where it gets me!
Thanks!
Lila:)

Am a neophyte...having said that much, Kompozer works well...easy to use.

phr0ze
May 7th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Most hosting makes it real easy to install Joomla or Drupal.

t0p
May 7th, 2008, 08:02 PM
In the repos is a html/xml editing app called screem. I think it's pretty good. I haven't tried kompozer yet.

volkswagner
May 7th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Programs listed so far look good. If you want help with a template check here. There are hundreds for you to download. Get one with css for ease of creating multiple pages.

The forums are great. The users are as helpful as you will find here.

http://www.opendesigns.org/

songshu
May 7th, 2008, 08:35 PM
recently one of our trainees had to make a website.

i gave him joomla and it took him 1 day to make a website. nothing fancy, just several pages but looking good.
day 2 and he was actually pretty proud of what he had achieved.

i never used it myself but that is what i installed after someone recommended it to me.

darc
May 7th, 2008, 08:36 PM
In the repos is a html/xml editing app called screem. I think it's pretty good. I haven't tried kompozer yet.

Yeah, I like SCREEM, but I'm experienced and only write code ~ none of that WYSIWYG stuff for me : )

For a frame of reference, I used VIM for 3yrs before finally starting to use SCREEM on occasion. And, I also use Eclipse (with PHP extensions) off and on... mainly just to play with it, nothing serious.

-darc

MyR
May 7th, 2008, 08:43 PM

I love screem but it is not for beginners

peace

jhawk2
May 7th, 2008, 09:33 PM
If you want to make a quick free website use weebly (http://www.weebly.com).
It is an online editor. Just make an account(free) and start creating! Very easy for the beginner. But for the techie there is custom html. Hope this helps!:)