PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Uninstalling a .deb install

H.Callahan
May 7th, 2008, 05:55 PM
If I installed a program from a .deb file (which I did), how does one go about removing it? No problem with the program itself, I just found a better solution.

drs305
May 7th, 2008, 05:59 PM
It should be listed in synaptic. You can remove it from there.
or

sudo dpkg --purge packagename

H.Callahan
May 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Dang! I would have SWORN that it wasn't listed there the first time I looked. But I found it and it is uninstalled. Thanks!

BTW, I just looked and a package that I installed using the make/make install scenerio is definitely NOT listed (and, yes I checked twice!). I don't want to uninstall that one, but if I did, how do I do that?

lswest
May 7th, 2008, 06:23 PM
compiled software (e.g. make files) need to be uninstalled by going to the source directory (that you made it from) and running
sudo make uninstall or running the available uninstall script that will be there in place of it (that's why it's best if you keep the source folder with the files after the compiling).

H.Callahan
May 7th, 2008, 06:27 PM
http://www2.incredimail.com/english/images/order/smiley.gif
Well, I am glad I didn't delete the original archive then!

Thanks!

lswest
May 7th, 2008, 06:32 PM
http://www2.incredimail.com/english/images/order/smiley.gif
Well, I am glad I didn't delete the original archive then!

Thanks!

no problem, glad i was able to help ^^ Thanks for the thanks, and i hope you enjoy your Ubuntu experience ;)
Lswest

PeterJS
May 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Heads up next time you compile something from source if you use checkinstall instead of make install, checkinstall will build a .deb package for you and install that, so you can remove the software like you would any other package.

stchman
May 7th, 2008, 06:38 PM
If I installed a program from a .deb file (which I did), how does one go about removing it? No problem with the program itself, I just found a better solution.

To completely remove a .deb package use the autoremove command.

sudo apt-get autoremove <.deb package>

This will remove all the unused dependencies as well.

H.Callahan
May 7th, 2008, 06:39 PM
no problem, glad i was able to help ^^ Thanks for the thanks, and i hope you enjoy your Ubuntu experience ;)
Lswest It's been a blast so far. Most of my problems have been due to faulty (read: Windowish) thinking on my part.