PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] display problems...

avidfan
May 7th, 2008, 04:59 PM
hello,
ive installed an nvidia 7200gs graphics card today. ive installed the driver using EnvyNG, when i try to use nvidia x server settings in administration i get this message..."You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server."
ive tried doing this but nothing happens! if i try to enable extra visual effects in the appearance folder i lose the top of my browser and any window i open up appears to be half covered up by the top toolbar!
ive got emerald installed and tried to install compiz so i presume its got something to do with that.
any help would be appreciated!
btw, im running hardy.
tia,
af

Freddy
May 7th, 2008, 05:04 PM
You have to load up some theme in Emerald. Compiz and Emerald wants to draw your windecorations, so choose something you like and load it.

You might have to press 'F2' and write 'compiz --replace' without ''.

avidfan
May 7th, 2008, 06:26 PM
:confused:]ive tried clicking on the themes in emerald, is that how they install? if so they dont on my pc! ive gone into compiz and set emerald as default for the themes, do i have to install any of the engines that are next to the themes on emerald? xp is looking good at the moment...](*,)

Freddy
May 7th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Open up a 'Run Command' box with 'Alt+F2'. In there you should write...

compiz --replace
Now you should at least run Compiz-Fusion and Emerald, open up 'emerald theme manager' and select a theme of choice.

I can't help you any further since I haven't used either Compiz-Fusion or Emerald in a while, I use 'Enlightenment17' now a days.

avidfan
May 7th, 2008, 07:25 PM
thanks for your time and help, much appreciated!

Freddy
May 7th, 2008, 09:49 PM
thanks for your time and help, much appreciated!
So it did work, great I'm happy for you.

Remember that the step from Windows to GNU/Linux is a pretty large one but you will be a bigger man for it. Even if you 6 months from now decides that Linux wasn't for you, you will at least know you way around and knowledge is easy to carry around :).

Happy hacking Avidfan.