PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] troubles with DicOOo

fontenot_1031
May 7th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Yeah, trying to install American English spell check (Computer still thinks I'm in Canada...). Cannot maximize it (tried to by right clicking and maximize cannot be selected).
Anyway is there another way to install spell check on open office without using dicOOo?

bluefrog
May 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM
that is a bug indeed. will see if a bug report has been made (100% chance yes).
In the mean time
http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/download_dictionary.html

germclown
May 15th, 2008, 03:44 AM
I just figured this one out today (pieced it together from other threads/websites). My Open Office kept crashing every time I tried to install through the DicOOo wizard.

Look for myspell or wamerican, wcanadian, wbritish in synaptic. I installed the myspell british english and the wcanadian 'huge' dictionary. No messing with OO wizards and they both worked as soon as I started a fresh writer session. I didn't need to do anything but install them with synaptic.

I don't know how thorough the myspells are, but the wcanadian came in four sizes from small to huge, so I'm assuming I got a pretty comprehensive dictionary.

Myspell apparently has no canadian english, but you can get american from both myspell and wamerican.

Hope this is what you're looking for...

mano cazalet
May 15th, 2008, 03:46 AM
when the dictoo window is that small the workaround is to disable compiz and then you will be able to install the dictionaries.

this is a bug, already reported and confirmed

sam_delta
May 15th, 2008, 03:47 AM
sudo apt-get install language-support-en

sam

SonicSteve
June 3rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
Yeah, trying to install American English spell check (Computer still thinks I'm in Canada...). Cannot maximize it (tried to by right clicking and maximize cannot be selected).
Anyway is there another way to install spell check on open office without using dicOOo?

You've likely fixed this by now but just incase you haven't.
Disable desktop effects (compiz). Then dicOOo will work properly.
System> preferances> appearance> visual effects > click none

Retry dicOOo and it will likely work for you, thus allowing easy dictionary installations.