PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Workspaces gone after Hardy Heron update

SullenGenie
May 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I just upgraded to 8.04 LTS and my workspace switcher no longer seems to be working. I cannot click on my alternate workspaces, drag anything from my bars to them, or use hotkeys to switch workspaces.

When I try to go to the add workspaces menu, (right click on the switcher -> preferences) all I see is rows and columns, which make only cosmetic differences; I still can't switch to the newly created workspaces. The help doc says there should be a number of workspaces spinbox, but I do not see one. A forum search didn't come up with anyone with similar problems, so here I am.

SullenGenie
May 7th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I believe I'm having a video driver problem. As I'm (sadly) stuck with integrated video, my guess is my video card can't handle the new 8.04 desktop effects. Since I had them at normal in 7.10, the setting stayed there, but it doesn't work. When I go to the desktop effects tab, none of the radio buttons are checked if I previously set it to normal. I have my workspaces back when I check no desktop effects. Woo!

psm22
May 9th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I have same issue. It happened with gutsy as well when I tried to enable compiz, which is enabled by default in hardy... something to do with nvidia drivers. Another thing is that if any desktop effects are switched on I can't use the fullscreen option in any movie player without the player crashing. So no compiz knick knacks for moi:(

janz84
May 18th, 2008, 05:56 AM
system - > preferences - > appearance - > visual effects

set to none

I personally have a x3100 and it works fine but sometimes I have to restart compiz using this method.

jordanmthomas
May 18th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Does right clicking on the applet and going to properties, then changing the number of workspaces to 1 work? Seems like a long time ago, compiz and pagers didn't get along sometimes in how many workspaces to create.

NightwishFan
May 18th, 2008, 08:00 AM
If you can change workspaces with Compiz disabled, to use them with it enabled, open the ccsm, and go to general options and set them accordingly.