PDA

View Full Version : Can't run the file I've made?!

Stonehambey
May 7th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Hi, I've made a couple of test programs using C++ and I've got my executable.

The only thing is...I can't run it. O_o

I try double clicking on it, and nothing happens. I try running it from the command line, and nothing happens. I should add that I've only just started using Ubuntu and so I might be missing out on something.

Also, save starting another thread I might as well ask it here. How does one go about building a project with multiple files using the command line? Say I wanted to build a program consisting of class.h, class.cpp and main.cpp, how would I do that? At the moment I'm building single files like this

g++ ./filename.cpp -o filename

Any help on these two questions/problems would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Stonehambey

Kadrus
May 7th, 2008, 01:41 PM
mm..lets say that you created a file called ex.cpp..
compile it using g++ ex.cpp
then run it using ./a.out ..it should work..

Stonehambey
May 7th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Ah yes, that seems to run the program in the terminal, thanks

If I may be so bold, could you possibly explain to me what the command "./a.out" actually does.

And also, how would I run the program in a separate window? For I will be making GUI applications using the SDL libraries, would these run in the terminal as well?

Kadrus
May 7th, 2008, 02:05 PM
mm..yeah..you compile all your programs from terminal and they run..let's say if you're making a GUI program using GTK you compile it and then u see your program and all its graphical features..and for the ./a.out read
A.out (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.out)

WW
May 7th, 2008, 04:22 PM
If you compiled your program like this

g++ ./filename.cpp -o filename
then to run it, you can do this in the terminal:

$ ./filename
The -o filename option tells the compiler/linker to call the executable program filename. If you don't give this option, the default name is a.out.

By the way, putting ./ in front of the source code file name is superfluous. This should work:

g++ filename.cpp -o filename
When you run the program with ./filename, you need ./ in front of the name because, by default, the terminal shell will not look for executable files in the current directory. In Linux, the dot (.) refers to the current directory.

Stonehambey
May 8th, 2008, 08:30 AM
Thanks to both of you, I can run them now :)