View Full Version : [ubuntu] Automounting drives in Hardy...

May 7th, 2008, 11:40 AM

I recently upgraded to Hardy Heron from Gutsy (clean install). Among other things, I noticed that other drives, like my windows partition and my USB flash drives don't mount automatically. I have to mount them by clicking on corresponding drive name in the Places menu. Is there a way to avoid this step altogether and just auto mount the drives?

Also, when I mount the drives, I'm asked for my password. Can this be avoided as well?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

May 7th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Is it an NTFS Drive (i.e. with Windows on)?

May 7th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Windows is on NTFS. My USB drives are FAT.

May 7th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Ok the Windows drives are easy enough :) Install NTFS-Config from synaptic manager and run that when no drives are mounted :)

I'm currently writing a how-to on this :)

May 7th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Great. Let me try this... Looking forward to the how-to. :)

May 7th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Ok there's a link to it at the bottom of my Signature now :)

May 7th, 2008, 12:49 PM
You say you did a fresh install, so this might not apply to you, but it is worth checking for those with a problem with automount

May 7th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I know its a bit late, but psychocats has a great guide to mounting partitions. If you're interested in seeing how to do it by hand you should check out this:

May 7th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Editing /etc/fstab will sort out most drive mount issues. Post output of
cat /etc/fstab and someone can help with the editing.

May 7th, 2008, 04:44 PM

I can get this method to work except that I then dont seem to be able to rename them to something meaningful.

I have two physical drives.

The first has my windows partition (C: in windows) plus the linux ext3 and swap partitions.

The second is divided into 6 NTFS partitions (d: to I: in Windows).

On a previous install of Gutsy I had also included a FAT partition for keeping common files but with Hardy being advertised as able to read and write to NTSF out of the box I didn't include one this time.

My Problem is that after installing NTFS-config and naming them as C Drive etc they still show up on my desktop with names such as 63.6 gbyte media or 26.6 gbyte media and all of the 6 drives on the 2nd physical disk are all the same size which is very confusing.

In case I have done something wrong could you also tell me how to unmount the drives if I have to start from scratch again.

May 7th, 2008, 05:12 PM
To rename your drives follow this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RenameUSBDrive) I think it works for hard drives too. To unmount you should be able to right click on the drive and choose unmount form the menu.

May 7th, 2008, 05:15 PM
Joeb454's method worked for me, actually.

@kjbyrne: I'm kind of a newbie too, but by editing /etc/fstab, you can change the output folder to whatever you wish and hence changing the way the mounted drive appears on your desktop.

Don't shoot me if it doesn't work! As I said, I'm learning too. :)

May 7th, 2008, 06:45 PM
I believe the easiest way is to boot into Windows, name your drives to your liking and return to Ubuntu. After all, you had to pay for Windows, get your money's worth.

May 9th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I believe the easiest way is to boot into Windows, name your drives to your liking and return to Ubuntu. After all, you had to pay for Windows, get your money's worth.

This is how I named mine XP & Vista ;)