PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No direct rendering 8.04

Loves_Unicorns
May 7th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Hi, first post.
I just installed Ubuntu 8.04. Everything good so far. I did install the ATI drivers from Envy. I can enable desktop effects. However

michelle@michelle-desktop:~$ glxinfo | grep rendering
direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
michelle@michelle-desktop:~$

I had figured that if I could enable desktop effects that I was good on direct rendering, but I guess that is not the case. Any help would be much appreicated.

Loves_Unicorns
May 7th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Is it possilbe to do this w/o re-installing the drivers ? I had the same problem as in another post where my monitor was out of range. I had to call someone who did the fix X thing because the reconfigue didnt work. When they did the fix X would it have taken the drivers off ?

revilodraw
May 30th, 2008, 03:39 PM
i have the same problem - can anyone help us?

linux4life88
October 12th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I'm having the same problem. I was wondering if anyone has found any fixes yet. I have an ATI Xpress 1150 graphics card. I get horrible frame rates in games (<5).

markbuntu
October 12th, 2008, 02:10 AM
There are a lot of problems with envy and the drivers from ati. Envy seems to misinstall them more often than not and installs the 8.6 driver which has a lot of bugs and no support for many ati cards/chips.
The best way to install the latest ati proprietary fglrx driver 8.9 is to follow this guide here, use method 2, folow the guide very carefully, expecially if you are using 64 bit Hardy. Do not install these drivers if you are using Intrepid 8.10:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Hardy_Installation_Guide