PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Screen randomly turns pink

bobbiescap
May 7th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Hi there,

Before I start complaining I want to congratulate everybody involved in Ubuntu for providing an excellent product with a great philosophy. Also it is fantastic to see so many younger people so enthusiastic and "walking the walk" as far as community interaction and caring for others goes.

The politeness and willingness to help is refreshing, after all we were all beginners once.

I have been tinkering with Linux for three or four years, generally when my main computer went down with a hardware explosion, and tried several distributions but gave up in the end and went slinking back to "Bill".

I have now had Ubuntu running for nearly twelve months and been generally happy with not too many problems.

I have a very annoying one that I picked up with 7.10 and (apparently) cured but it has returned with 8.04. That is that the screen randomly turns pink for extended periods and then returns to normal. This effect can be present during bootup, I don't remember it occurring in BIOS, though I can't be sure it hasn't.

I have fiddled with drivers and settings that I can find and consulted all the references I can find in web searches and seemed to beat it in 7.10 with Envy but have no answers so far for 8.04.

I want to introduce as many people as I can to the Ubuntu Community but am finding it difficult to show them with this problem.

I am running and old P4, socket 423 on an Intel board with RD memory, ATI 9600 graphics card, Samsung Syncmaster 913V and a good quality KVM, as I run 2-4 boxes at once.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Roger

Joeb454
May 7th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Sounds a lot like a loose connection to me. My friends PC does that if you knock the back of it - the cable is a little stretched ;)

bobbiescap
May 8th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks I have moved it to a different cable on the KVM and waiting to see if it will go ok.
Roger

kesman
May 8th, 2008, 07:41 AM
You can get Envy for hardy too, if you already don't have it.
For pinkness, it's always good to remain the little feminine side in you, you know =D

Joeb454
May 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM
How did it go with a different cable?

carolinason
September 4th, 2008, 05:38 PM
the new kde 4.1.1 update is pink?

cariboo
September 4th, 2008, 06:38 PM
You didn't mention whether you had an lcd or crt monitor. If it is a crt this could be an indication that the crt has an intermittent internal short, if it changes by moving the cable then you more then likely have a problem with cold solder joints, the only way to repair that problem is to pull it apart and start looking for cracked solder on the pcb's

Jim