PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Connect VirtualBox to internet

tentel
May 6th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I've been trying to figure out how to do this, but I'm stumped.

From what I've read in the User Manual, I should have it set to NAT, and PCnet-FAST III.

I've done that, but I have no idea what to do next.

I am pretty illiterate when it comes to networks.

By the way, I am running XP as a guest inside of Hardy Heron, and I'm using VirtualBox 1.6 Puel, not OSE, so I haven't installed anything from synaptics.

Thanks for the help
-Tim

May 7th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Works out of the (virtual)box for me.

mlentink
May 7th, 2008, 12:35 AM
Works out of the (virtual)box for me.

As it does for me. I run 1.5.6. with NAT and that PCnet-Fast pseudo adapter, and it works. Weird.

Oldsoldier2003
May 7th, 2008, 12:37 AM
I've been trying to figure out how to do this, but I'm stumped.

From what I've read in the User Manual, I should have it set to NAT, and PCnet-FAST III.

I've done that, but I have no idea what to do next.

I am pretty illiterate when it comes to networks.

By the way, I am running XP as a guest inside of Hardy Heron, and I'm using VirtualBox 1.6 Puel, not OSE, so I haven't installed anything from synaptics.

Thanks for the help
-Tim

let vbox handle the networking, dont try to set it up unless you absoulutely need to. By default vbox will share the hosts connection.

use nat and the defualt adapter vb sets up,make sure you have enable network adapter and cable plugged in ticked.

tentel
May 7th, 2008, 12:54 AM
let vbox handle the networking, dont try to set it up unless you absoulutely need to. By default vbox will share the hosts connection.

use nat and the defualt adapter vb sets up,make sure you have enable network adapter and cable plugged in ticked.

Okay, so that check out. it all seems to be set up.

Is there anything I have to do inside of XP?

-Tim

Oldsoldier2003
May 7th, 2008, 12:56 AM
Okay, so that check out. it all seems to be set up.

Is there anything I have to do inside of XP?

-Tim

no it should autodetect. if youve changed anything in xps settings change it back to dhcp/automatic

edit: oh and if you get new hardware detected... use the vbox drivers- dont try to install any new drivers from the internet or anything. XP will find them and install them from the vbox guest additions iso if its mounted.

tentel
May 7th, 2008, 01:16 AM
How do I make sure it is on DHCP/Automatic?

-Tim

tentel
May 7th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Would I be better off using an older version of VirtualBox?

I wonder if that could be the problem?

I think that I read that 1.6 was a bit buggy with Hardy.

-Tim

SlappyPappy
May 7th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Just do the connection wizard and go LAN. You don't have to change any settings. It piggybacks on the host connection.

dark_harmonics
May 7th, 2008, 04:14 AM
It cant be said enough in this thread to LEAVE DEFAULTS. I think it uses NAT (never had to check really) and forwards traffic seamlessly. If you have that working the only other thing i would do is to install the guest additions. Makes everything roll together smoother.