PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] C++ gcc error

Chicken Dinner
May 6th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I am having trouble with gcc. I tried making a "hello world" program in Vim, and I received an error when I tried to compile it with this code (which I found on the internet).

gcc -Wall -o foo ubuntu.cpp

Ubuntu is the name of the file.
After entering it after a colon (Ex: mode), this is the error I receive.

gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1plus': execvp: No such file or directory

Does gcc not come with everything to compile C++ code? If anyone can help me that far, I also haven't a clue how to run the program after its compiled, so any help with that would be great too. I'm an absolute beginner so any answers will be helpful.

Thank you.

Sef
May 6th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Have you installed build-essetial?

Applications > Accessories > Terminal

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Monicker
May 6th, 2008, 10:50 PM
I believe you will need to use g++. If do not already have it, install the build-essential package.

Dougie187
May 6th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I think you do need g++ for c++ code, but for a simple hello world program you shouldnt need c++ really.

Chicken Dinner
May 6th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Well now I feel stupid! I could've sworn I installed g++, but apparently not. Thanks for the help. That would've taken hours for me to figure out.

Oldsoldier2003
May 6th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Well now I feel stupid! I could've sworn I installed g++, but apparently not. Thanks for the help. That would've taken hours for me to figure out.
the compiler tools are not installed in a default ubuntu installation, its been the subject of quite a few spirited discussions :)