PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downloading packeges fails?

PPAAUULL
May 6th, 2008, 10:23 PM
I just installed the new version of Ubuntu and I am finding it pretty good I have one problem though. Every time I try to download updates, drivers, or even install programs I get a time out error. I ran
sudo apt-get update to see if the repos where working and they are, it even came up with some updates but when I try to download them I get a time out error. If you could help me fix this it would be a big help, Thanks.

justifier
May 6th, 2008, 10:26 PM
try this checklist

- are you connected to the internet?
- has your network connection been recognised and is it avalible, if you are posting here then yes
- try pinging the servers ( from terminal: ping <a server>
- try later?

Hope some of this helps

PPAAUULL
May 6th, 2008, 10:31 PM
The weird thing is that I can recieve an updated source list but I can't download the updates from the repos.

tubezninja
May 6th, 2008, 10:33 PM
FWIW, if you look around, there are threads where other people are having similar problems today. Including myself.

I can only guess that for whatever reason, traffic at the repos is higher than normal (maybe people are still upgrading?). Wait for things to die down and try again.

sports fan Matt
May 6th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Sadly, its been occuring with me too..I have been able to download but gotten ridiciously low download speeds and a few "could not fetch ..." Sorry I cant help more, just be aware you arent alone:(

PPAAUULL
May 6th, 2008, 10:39 PM
Ya ok then it is probobly the repos being overloaded. I will just wait and see what happens, but from what it sounds like it is most likely a server overload problem.