PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Botched KDE Installation

UnWarierMage224
May 6th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Hi folks,

So I used the command

sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop

to try to install KDE so as to have both GNOME and KDE. The install hung at a point... was downloading some file and it froze at some percentage and didn't budge... so I closed the terminal window.... Bad.
So I'm assuming that now there's a bunch of uninstalled crap/other files on my system which I want to get rid of. What to look for/how to do?

I did run

sudo aptitude uninstall kubuntu-desktop

And that took out like... one file but I'm still assuming there's a lot there.

OR, if I re run the sudo aptitude install command will that fix everything??

(It seems that I've been having the worst luck with linux lately)...

Thanks,

-'Mage

spiderbatdad
May 6th, 2008, 10:09 PM
maybe
sudo apt-get autoremove

cwgatling
May 6th, 2008, 10:10 PM
And maybe a
sudo apt-get autoclean ?

UnWarierMage224
May 6th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I just tried that... It tells me that kubuntu-desktop is not installed, so it didn't remove anything.

sudo apt-get autoremove kubuntu-desktop

-'Mage

spiderbatdad
May 6th, 2008, 10:13 PM
dont add any extra commands:

sudo apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get autoclean

UnWarierMage224
May 6th, 2008, 10:20 PM
Ran both those commands... they executed OK.

Did a search for KDE, Kubuntu, Kaffeine - a few program names I remember popping up during install... there's still some stuff left in the usr/share directory... I'm assuming that that's OK to leave hanging around?

Can I try reinstalling KDE using the first command (aptitude install kubuntu-desktop)?

Thanks,

-'Mage

tubezninja
May 6th, 2008, 10:22 PM
You could also try

sudo apt-get purge kubuntu-desktop

The repositories are quite slow today. Are this still the result of people install/upgrading to Hardy?

cwgatling
May 6th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Good point. There are a lot of post about it here today. It might be worth waiting for a bit before trying to DL kubuntu again. Or try using the torrent
http://torrent.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/hardy/release/dvd/?

kansasnoob
May 6th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Have you tried just opening Synaptic, clicking Reload, and seeing if there are any "broken" packages?

If not (I'm assuming you're using Hardy), you could then click on "search" and type in: ubuntu-desktop ............ then choose to reinstall. It may "pull in" some missing packages.

If not you may be able to run "recovery mode" from GRUB.

UnWarierMage224
May 6th, 2008, 10:37 PM
@ kansas: I am still able to use GNOME as I never uninstalled Gnome in the first place.... I just checked synaptic and it says that KDE is not installed even though there's still a bunch of crap in my usr/share folder from the botched KDE install (icons and the like)

@ everyone else: Thanks to all for the advice. I will most likely try to redownload KDE on another day.

-'Mage

kansasnoob
May 6th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Oops more replies while I was typing and tending to other fires.

If you want to go for KDE again just go to synaptic and search for kde. That should pull in all the packages needed for a KDE desktop. I always add kdm, which is the equivalent of gdm, but since it's newly installed it'll ask you which desktop environment to boot.

NOTE: I haven't done this since upgrading to Hardy from Gutsy.