PDA

View Full Version : ASP.Net tutorial videos

twothird
May 6th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Found a website that caught my interest called Code Chronicles (http://www.microsoft.com/uk/codechronicles/default.mspx#). The way it caught my attention was a bit false though – at first I thought it was a guide through the history of programming languages. Turned out to be something totally different – a fancy suasion for developers to learn ASP.Net.

What was rather annoying was that there’s no information what so ever about other languages, not related to ASP.Net. I think that’s a bit hypocritical, considering the site’s title. Anyway, as soon as one realizes what it’s about, one can skip the not important parts, because there are some actually useful bits. The download section is cool with Express Editions of Visual Web Developer 2008 and SQL Server. What I liked more was the support section. There are quite a few instructional videos, for all levels of proficiency in web-development, even some from a PHP developer’s perspective. The whole site is made in Silverlight, which caused some problems with me – had to watch the videos in fullscreen. Overall, I think the site is worth seeing, but only if one sticks to what’s worthy.

samjh
May 6th, 2008, 12:08 PM
It's a Microsoft website, so obviously they're trying to market Microsoft's developer offerings. ;)

LaRoza
May 6th, 2008, 01:34 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4660721&postcount=64

Although this forum is for any programming language, it is not for spam. The Express editions of VS are free to download, we all know that. Silverlight is not for Linux, although efforts are being made to allow Linux uses to use it.

Microsoft Silverlight may not be supported on your computer's hardware or operating system.

Quite true.

Mickeysofine1972
May 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM
One thinks One is from a Microsoft office in Redmond! is One?

twothird
May 8th, 2008, 03:02 PM
samjh: I agree :)

I'm interested in ASP.Net and I found some tutorials on that site that I thought were good. That was the first time I ever saw Silverlight, and since killing my Kubuntu with apt-get autoremove after removing gnome-desktop, I was using Windows for browsing (I am getting back to Kubuntu, just didn't have the time to repair it yet). Another thing is, many Linux users have dual-boot systems, so it's not as if that site is not valid for those who feel like they want to see the tutorials. There are other sites with rather good podcasts, like Boagworld or simply youtube, but this one is focused on ASP.Net and even though I am not a fan of the marketing tone of the site, I find the tutorials helpful.
If you know of any other sources of info/tutorials for ASP.Net, I'd much appreciate it if you'd guide me towards some.