PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] using terminal how to?

creekchub
May 6th, 2008, 11:08 AM
i am the only user on this pc. i was trying to use the terminal function last eve. but when i typed in a code it stated i do not have administrative privileges so now how or what do you do to get
logged into that function?

rahulsharma
May 6th, 2008, 11:11 AM
what kind of function are you using like to install any software you need to type sudo before that to get super user privileges could you post what exactly you were trying to do

subzero316
May 6th, 2008, 11:12 AM
type

sudo <command>

you will be prompted for a password enter your pwd

If you need this privilges for all the later commands

sudo passwd

here enter your password you ll become root.

or

su passwd

From next time just enter

su

then your commands

subzero316
May 6th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Also check the community Docs on Sudo youll understand.

<<----Sudo Docs---->> (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo?highlight=%28sudo%29)

creekchub
May 6th, 2008, 12:03 PM
the reason i am trying to use this function is my monitor resoulution cannot be adjusted. the best it will do is 800x600 i posted another thread and it was suggested i get into sudo but when i typed the command it stated i did not have root adm. priveleges. also make note that i am into my 3rd day of using this distro or any type of linux program. swithching from windows. so i can use all the help and support i can get!!

mlentink
May 6th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Could you please post what happens when you open up a terminal (Applications > Accessories> Terminal) and type:

sudo su

Joeb454
May 6th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Hmm..sounds odd, almost like something messed up on the install...

What is the exact error you get when you try to do a command as sudo?

creekchub
May 6th, 2008, 09:17 PM
here is exactly what i tried last eve.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserv-xorg

nothing happene. so i started playing around i forgot what i typed in but when i entered it stated that i need root priveleges so i was wondering how you login in
as adnin. while in terminal

jtrindle
May 6th, 2008, 09:44 PM
The proper command is:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

and then you type in the password you use to log in when prompted.

However, you *should* be able to do this more easily through the desktop:
System->Administration->Screen & Graphics->Graphics Card

Click on the driver (which is probably SVGA now) and choose by manufacturer and model. What kind of video card is it?

creekchub
May 7th, 2008, 01:21 AM
it is an onboard video card. nVIDIA 6100 chipset

NightwishFan
May 7th, 2008, 01:25 AM
I have a Nvidia 6150 SE, and with the restricted nvidia drivers it runs perfectly on my 1440x900 lcd.

creekchub
May 8th, 2008, 12:56 AM
where do i get the driver? and exactly how do i go about installing it on this distro. i have tried enabling the nVida accelerated graphics driver. this appears in the task bar when i first install.. now when i enable the driver and reboot i get an error message and black screen. so what driver and where and how do i install

NightwishFan
May 8th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Perhaps try envy, I think it is in the repos.