PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] display flickers after resolution change

jsast21
May 6th, 2008, 12:18 AM
I've had Hardy running great since the day it came out (and should have left it alone - but alas...) - but yesterday was doing a lot of reading on the web and got the great idea to bump the resolution from 1280x800 to 800x600 to make the text easier to read. (used System -> Preferences -> Screen Resolution) to make the change.

When I changed it back an hour or so later - everything seemed to be okay. I walked away from the computer and returned an hour or so later to unlock the screensaver. When I did, I noticed the screen had a weird flicker to it and the mouse pointer was not at very responsive. I logged out and then back in again, and everything is back to normal. Then after 30 or 40 minutes of inactivity (w/o the screensaver enabled) or immediately when the screensaver kicks in - it returns to this weird state and you have to log out and back in.

Sorry for the long post - but I've googled it as well as searched the forums and found nothing. Just wanted to explain it so (hopefully) someone can shed some light on why this is happening and how to fix it.

(tx1000 laptop, Hardy, NVDIA proprietary driver enabled)

Thanks.

jsast21.