PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] I need to re-install firefox but I dont know how?

gumpontheweb
May 5th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I just got an update for foxyproxy in firefox. Now I get an error message when I open firefox. here is the shot...http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=68920&stc=1&d=1210015403

My other account is working fine so I wanted to do the simplest thing which I figured would be to re-install firefox. synaptic doesn't give me the option. when i went to uninstall, I got tons of other stuff going on.
What should I do?
Can I just make firefox in 1 account like the other account?

nowshining
May 5th, 2008, 09:10 PM
no need to re-install

to get a new profile per say

in terminal run

firefox --profilemanager

you can create a new profile if u'd like and even make it ask on startup which profile to use that way u don't have to do it everyting in the terminal. :)

nowshining
May 5th, 2008, 09:13 PM
as for your problem, it's likely an add-on - ie: that foxy-proxy add-on causing the error. :)

akiratheoni
May 5th, 2008, 09:18 PM
If you do want to uninstall Firefox, I believe the command would be:

sudo apt-get remove --purge firefox

gumpontheweb
May 6th, 2008, 03:07 AM
I ended up upgrading to firefox 3 beta. at first, just to get rid of the add-on. I haven't switched it back and I might not. Is there any downside to using a beta besides the obvious?
Very useful help though. Much appreciated!

Flash player plug-in doesn't install? whats up?

gumpontheweb
May 6th, 2008, 03:20 AM
no need to re-install

to get a new profile per say

in terminal run

firefox --profilemanager

you can create a new profile if u'd like and even make it ask on startup which profile to use that way u don't have to do it everyting in the terminal. :)
the new firefox just stars up when I put it in...?
good idea though

nowshining
May 6th, 2008, 11:44 AM
the downside to using a BETA is that a lot of add-one won't work with a BETA or work well or even @ all @ esp. an add-on that's really old. Altho.

Just to let u know an' XPI is actually a zip file in disguise :) and if u want to manually update an add-on to work with a newerr ver. of firefox - just edit the .rdf file changing the MAX version to a higher number - ie: 5.0 or something and re-insert or create a new .xpi with the updated rdf file and then go to open in firefox and browse to where u have it and open it up and install it however u'll have to rename the ext. .xpi before doing so.

Same thing with the add-ons that are .jar files or so - they to are just a zip file in disquise.