PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Upgrade problems from Ubuntu Gibbon to Heron

magnusbk
May 5th, 2008, 11:06 AM
:confused:

A week ago I upgraded my system to Heron, was really excited about the new release. Had some problems with the upgrade manager, but found a way to do it through the terminal...

Since I run Ubuntu on an old machine (Dell Laptop D600) and it runs a bit slow, I decided to install the Xubuntu desktop after the upgrade.

Now the problem... Xubuntu booted fine in the beginning, with occasional freezes after the login screen. Now I am not able to login to Xfce desktop at all, it freezes on a blue screen eveytime. Have to Ctrl+Alt+backspace to login to GNOME. But even that freezes up at times.

Any suggestions how to solve this? I would like to use Xfce since GNOME runs way too slow on this laptop.

PLEASE HELP!!!

shadowtroopers
May 5th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Sorry, just wanted to ask whether your desktop is a pure xfce or gnome still installed. If gnome still installed (mixture of gnome and xfce), may i suggest you remove the gnome first.

magnusbk
May 7th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Ok...

did the following:

sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get autoremove

The message stated that ubuntu-desktop does not exist, therefore cannot be removed.
Autoremove resulted in 2 files being removed, didnt note them down (should have... sorry)

Login to Xfce has worked twice now so maybe the problem is solved. ALthough I dont understand how I am able to login to Gnome as an option toegether with Xfce, despite it being removed.

Is there something I am missing, would just like to understand how this works...
Also, am fearing this problem will creep up again due to Ubuntu-desktop still existing...

thanks for the help..

shadowtroopers
May 7th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Try this, this command will select your default gdm(gnome) to xdm(xfce).

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xdm

Hope this may help.