PDA

View Full Version : Writing custom scripting language

Touch.Code
May 5th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Hi all,

I was wandering if anyone had any tips (not ones saying don't do it), resources or snippets towards creating my own scripting language in C++.

While I was in Windows I looked around LUA, Lex and Yacc, but never got any further.

Even if my language was (for the moment) only able to open a script file, perform some mathematics and maybe even beep or display a message box, I would be happy.

Some resources for opening a file and then parsing what is inside would be nice :)

Before any of you doubt me, here is a small list of things I have programmed (in):

16-Bit ASM Operating System
AutoIt
VB6
PHP
SQL
MySQL
Javascript

I know some aren't exactly difficult, however I have experience in programming, C++ is the next level for me.

Thankyou,
James

RIchard James13
May 5th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Use RPN (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Polish_notation) for maths because it easier to parse than standard mathematical notation. I once wrote a FORTH interpreter in BASIC and FORTH uses RPN so there was no problem with equations like y = ( 2 + 3 ) / 4

CptPicard
May 5th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Figure out a grammar and implement it in Lisp. It's a very good language for creating languages. I mean, what's with all this C++ these days? :)

Well.. if you insist on C or C++... figure out a grammar and then use yacc or bison to generate a parser. Then when you have an expression tree, all you need is to walk it and evaluate it.

Touch.Code
May 5th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Richard, the Wiki page doesn't exist. Although it sounds like a good idea.

Picard, I shall have a look at Lisp now :)

Thanks for the quick replies!

tseliot
May 5th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Figure out a grammar and implement it in Lisp. It's a very good language for creating languages. I mean, what's with all this C++ these days? :)

Well.. if you insist on C or C++... figure out a grammar and then use yacc or bison to generate a parser. Then when you have an expression tree, all you need is to walk it and evaluate it.
CptPicard I have the solution to your problem ;) :

from Tolerance import tolerateCPlusPlusFans
tolerateCPlusPlusFans()

Wybiral
May 5th, 2008, 06:48 PM
CptPicard I have the solution to your problem ;) :

from Tolerance import tolerateCPlusPlusFans
tolerateCPlusPlusFans()

tseliot, I have a solution to your problem:

new_tolerance = filter((lambda x: x != "c++"), old_tolerance)

Or, maybe this one:

(remove-if (lambda (x) (string= x "c++")) '("c" "c++" "python" "lisp"))

Lau_of_DK
May 5th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Hey,

If you have no demands of the language being very fast, you would probably do yourself a favor by abadoning C++ as you will inevitable spend alot of time on pointers, typecasting and the likes.

A way that would be intersting (but not very fast I think), would be to compose your new scripting language of Lisp macros and thereby extending the Lisp language itself.

You could have a setup that read every line of a text file like myscript.mylanguage, and directly executed the command. Besides for some error checking your entire scripting engine could look like this:

(defun run-script (filename)
(with-open-file (in filename)
(with-standard-io-syntax (progn (read in))))

So if the first line in your file said "(say hello world)", that line would be directly executed. And given that you have a macro called "say" which accepts any number of strings as arguments, you would also have a working function.

/Lau

WW
May 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM
You might find some ideas in Chapter 8 Minilanguages (http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/minilanguageschapter.html) of The Art of Unix Programming (http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/index.html).

pmasiar
May 5th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Forth is excellent tool to develop new languages, and is incredibly fast.