PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] backuppc password

rkulp
May 5th, 2008, 04:08 AM
I am trying to configure BackupPC which I installed using apt-get. For some reason I can't find the password for the BackupPC User, backuppc. Is there a way to find it? I thought I had changed it during the install but what I thought was the password does not work. I really don't want to uninstall and reinstall if it is not necessary.:(

rkulp
May 6th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Well, I upgraded to 3.1.0 and noted while running configure.pl that the _BACKUPPCUSER_ is defaulted to backuppc but there is never a reference to a password. Then in Step 7: Talking to BackupPC it instructs you to change to backupuser: su _BACKUPPCUSER_ so I typed in:

su backuppc

and the system asks for the password. Stuck again.

rkulp
May 6th, 2008, 04:35 AM
I solved it by backing up the /ect/backuppc directory and then doing a complete remove including all config files. That cleared the username and password. Then

apt-get install backuppc

got me to an install screen where the automatically generated password was provided. After install was complete, I changed it to a more desirable password.

Morons
May 26th, 2008, 09:30 AM
I am trying to configure BackupPC which I installed using apt-get. For some reason I can't find the password for the BackupPC User, backuppc. Is there a way to find it? I thought I had changed it during the install but what I thought was the password does not work. I really don't want to uninstall and reinstall if it is not necessary.:(

While Installing you missed the Message what your password is, Also the instructions in how to change it
Just do this:

htpasswd /etc/backuppc/htpasswd backuppc
Saved me an re-install!:lolflag: