PDA

View Full Version : Emacs: Start Maximized by Default?

svk
May 5th, 2008, 12:39 AM
How can I make emacs start maximized by default? Is there anything I could do to .emacs? By default, emacs starts up with a rather small window and it's a little annoying.

Thanks in advance.

LaRoza
May 5th, 2008, 01:16 AM
man emacs:

--geometry geometry
Set the Emacs window's width, height, and position as speci-
fied. The geometry specification is in the standard X format;
see X(1) for more information. The width and height are speci-
fied in characters; the default is 80 by 24. See the Emacs
manual, section "Options for Window Size and Position", for
information on how window sizes interact with selecting or des-
electing the tool bar and menu bar.

djs_uk
May 5th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Within gnome/ubuntu, I find the --geometry option doesn't always give what I want. It will only allow me to set the size/location to certain maximums only (maximums which don't match the height of my display).

Alternatively, for running emacs in full screen, just do the command :

$ emacs -fs

Or, for emacs in full height, do:

$ emacs -fh

Darren

svk
May 5th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the help.

I changed my .Xdefaults to make emacs start a bit bigger on start up, but it's still not ideal. It is technically not "maximized", but simply "resized to fill the entire screen". Call me obsessive-compulsive, but I'm somewhat bothered by this and will still hit "maximize".

Full screen is actually kind of cool and I'll certainly make use of it, especially as a way to force myself to not get sidetracked. But for most purposes, I would definitely prefer just having it maximized.

Looks like compiz fusion might let me do what I want (I installed compizconfig-settings-manager). There are lots of settings available, and they can be set to apply only to specific programs. Awesome -- but I can't find a setting anywhere for starting a specific program maximized. Fiddlesticks.

Looks like it's possible to do this in KDE. I'm using Gnome. More fiddlesticks.

If anyone has a solution, please post. Meanwhile, I'll continue suffering from my obsessive compulsive disorder-induced paranoia that all windows must be maximized.

Tulth
August 12th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Hey guys,

I ran into this emacs maximized problem as well on ubuntu 8.04. the -fs option actually made it cover my desktop bars at the bottom and top of the screen, and fw and fh would not work together. Posted below is the solution I arrived at for starting emacs maximized, just the way I wanted it:

(defun toggle-fullscreen ()
(interactive)
(x-send-client-message nil 0 nil "_NET_WM_STATE" 32
'(2 "_NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_VERT" 0))
'(2 "_NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_HORZ" 0))
)
(toggle-fullscreen)

Just put it in your .emacs, and you should be set. You should probably remove any other -fs/fh/fw command line arguments.

Hope this helps other emacs users on Hardy.

roelpeeters
October 7th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Perfect! Thanks, just what I was looking for!

amacleod
November 11th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Is there an X resource equivalent to the -fh or --fullheight switch? I tried adding the following to my .Xresources:

emacs.fullheight: true

but that did not achieve the desired effect.

I suppose I could put the elisp that sends X a maximize message in my .emacs, but that seems less clean, elegant, and easy to remember next time I'm setting it up.

amacleod
November 11th, 2008, 04:05 PM
Is there an X resource equivalent to the -fh or --fullheight switch? I tried adding the following to my .Xresources:

Sorry.. I should have looked closer at the manpage for emacs before posting. I found my own answer there:

fullscreen (class Fullscreen)
The desired fullscreen size. The value can be one of
fullboth, fullwidth, or fullheight, which correspond to
the command-line options -fs, -fw, and -fh,
respectively. Note that this applies to the initial
frame only.

amacleod
November 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I noticed some very strange behavior now that I'm playing with Emacs in fullheight mode. I'm using the GNOME desktop that comes with Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS. I've got two monitors which I'm using as a single desktop with Xinerama support. When I added a panel to the right side of my right-hand screen, Emacs no longer respects the lower boundary set by the panel on the bottom of the screen (I start Emacs on the left-hand screen by default). The moment I took away the vertical panel on the right, Emacs started fitting nicely between the horizontal top and bottom panels again.

Interesting thing about the top and bottom panels: the default panels supplied by GNOME only showed up on my left-hand screen, while the right-hand screen had none. In that configuration, Emacs refused to start fullheight in the left-hand screen--it automatically jumped to the right where it had more room. Adding blank/empty panels to the top and bottom of the right hand screen fixed this.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the cause of this is, but I figured I'd post about it here in case anyone else encountered similar problems.

unutbu
November 11th, 2008, 05:06 PM
The devilspie package can help you control the window geometry (placement and size) for all your graphical apps.

The beauty of devilspie is you don't have to learn a different trick, command or config file syntax to control the window geometry of each app. It is not a large package either.

Devilspie offers a consistent, lisp-like config language to handle all window geometry rules.

For example, if you put this in ~/.devilspie/config.ds

( if
( is ( application_name ) "emacs" )
( begin
( geometry "831x1012+0+32" )
)
)

then your emacs application will open with upper left corner at (0,32) and have width of 831 pixels height of 1012 pixels.

alienbrain
March 21st, 2009, 01:16 PM
Ideally, you should configure this through your window manager.

Devil's Pie (http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie) is a "window-matching utility that gives great control over the placement and properties over windows in the X Window System"; It allows allows you to define rules for applications and apply them as they start. So:

sudo apt-get install devilspie

Now you should
man devilspie on how to define those rules. Or if you are like me, then you can also use the nice gDevilspie (http://code.google.com/p/gdevilspie/) to configure this in a flash using a nice GUI. You will need to add a rule for application "emacs", and in actions tick "maximize".

mltucker
April 11th, 2009, 05:04 AM
Hello,

I'm hoping to do this without installing extra packages. All the solutions so far (other than devil's pie) including -fh, -fs, and the toggle-fullscreen function aren't working for me since they all set the window height to be too large. This makes it so that I have to maximize it or alt-drag and resize if I want to see the mode line at the bottom. It is too large by default also.

This only happens with Emacs. I am running the snapshot emacs with resolution 1024x600. Any suggestions?

unutbu
April 11th, 2009, 01:58 PM
mltucker, perhaps try this:

Edit or create ~/.Xdefaults

Put something like this in it:

Emacs.geometry: 80x54+0+30

Save the file. This should make emacs open a window which is 80 characters wide, 54 lines tall, and shifted 0 pixels to the right and 30 pixels down from the upper left corner.

Then in a terminal run:

xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults

Launch emacs.

mltucker
April 12th, 2009, 03:59 AM
Hey unutbu,

Thanks. That worked perfectly!

-Mark

jammrk
May 16th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Hey guys,

I ran into this emacs maximized problem as well on ubuntu 8.04. the -fs option actually made it cover my desktop bars at the bottom and top of the screen, and fw and fh would not work together. Posted below is the solution I arrived at for starting emacs maximized, just the way I wanted it:

(defun toggle-fullscreen ()
(interactive)
'(2 "_NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_VERT" 0))
'(2 "_NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_HORZ" 0))
)
(toggle-fullscreen)

Exactly what i was looking for. Placed it in my .emacs file and it worked perfectly.

SabreWolfy
February 20th, 2012, 10:45 AM

emacs.fullheight: true

but that did not achieve the desired effect.

I suppose I could put the elisp that sends X a maximize message in my .emacs, but that seems less clean, elegant, and easy to remember next time I'm setting it up.

Look at the "Resources" and "Table of Resources" here (http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/X-Resources.html). You need to add

emacs.fullscreen: maximized

to ~/.Xresources, force a reload of the file with 'xrdb ~/.Xresources' and you're done. The "Table of Resources" shows the other fullscreen modes available. The "maximized" mode is the same as the command-line parameter "-mm".