PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Xine fails randomly after a few minutes

frogitts
May 4th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Well, I haven't been able to find a solution to this problem, so I'll just post. Sorry if a solution's already been found.

Here's the situation: Sound works fine on my laptop. I have a Dell Inspiron b130 with onboard sound ("HDA Intel Sound Card"). However, after a while (I haven't really tested how long, but the last two times it happened were within two hours from each other, and it's happened I think four times today), all sounds randomly stops. The only thing I can get is the system beeps (For example, from Firefox when you ask it to find a text string that can't be found in the web page. Need to change that setting too.....).

When I start Amarok after I've noticed the sound stops, it reports that xine is unable to initialize any audio drivers. Other audio applications (Songbird, Firefox, Pidgin, VLC) just don't play sound. This is particularly annoying with Pidgin, because I'm often on another side of the desktop cube and since my window doesn't flash and no sound plays, I'll sometimes have people waiting 5 minutes before I even notice they sent me a message.

This problem is fixed with a reboot, but restarting X doesn't do it. Incidentally, the last time I did try to restart X I got a funny error that I can't remember offhand about not being able to find a profile, and all my windows turned blue instead of orange, plus some other superficial changes.

But other problems aside, how can I fix xine so that I don't have to reboot my computer four times a day just to get sound to work?