PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ttyS0 permission

jay_565
May 4th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I needed to use ttyS0 for my serial printer. I wonder why for 7.10 the permissions (ex. chmod a+x /dev/ttyS0) I gave ttyS0 is not restored upon reboot, it returns back to the orignal permissions.

freymann
May 26th, 2008, 04:53 PM
I needed to use ttyS0 for my serial printer. I wonder why for 7.10 the permissions (ex. chmod a+x /dev/ttyS0) I gave ttyS0 is not restored upon reboot, it returns back to the orignal permissions.

Same thing happens to me with 8.04. Every time I reboot I have to:

sudo chmod o+rwx /dev/ttyS0

in order for some of my X10 stuff to work. I would like to automate that step as well!

sisco311
May 26th, 2008, 05:25 PM
In order to get read/write permission on /dev/ttyS0 add your user to the dialout group.

sudo addgroup $USERNAME dialoutYou can set the permissions of /dev/ttyS0 by editing the /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules file:

sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rulesAdd this line:

KERNEL=="ttyS[0-9]", GROUP="dialout", MODE="0777"
restart udev:

sudo /etc/init.d/udev restartdone,

freymann
May 26th, 2008, 10:30 PM
In order to get read/write permission on /dev/ttyS0 add your user to the dialout group.

sudo addgroup $USERNAME dialoutYou can set the permissions of /dev/ttyS0 by editing the /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules file:

restart udev:

Beauty. Exactly what I needed. Thanks!

jessejazza
August 28th, 2012, 09:00 PM

restart udev:

I really appreciate you posting this. I've used a serial modem for faxing with 8.04 and 10.04, when i installed 12.04 i had a problem "access denied".

Until i read your post kindly passed to me from a xubuntu list member i was lost. I tried what's below but never thought about permissions.

<snip>
Steps so far: i need to check that the serial port is recognised.
mgetty installed from repos.
james@james-System-Product-Name:~/Desktop$ dmesg | grep tty
[ 0.000000] console [tty0] enabled
[ 0.285326] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
[ 0.700570] 00:0d: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
james@james-System-Product-Name:~/Desktop$ setserial -g /dev/ttyS[01]
/dev/ttyS0: Permission denied
/dev/ttyS1: Permission denied

I didn't find the last line on restart seemed to work for me i got errors so just rebooted the computer. efax could send... what joy!

What i'd be interested to know is why did this 'permission' required come into being?